Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG annual fee ... waived?

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Amex PRG annual fee ... waived?

Just got my first PRG statement yesterday and found it quite surprising - I see the annual fee of $175 there added to the total balance. 

I opened my PRG around 2 weeks ago when there was a promo of 100k MR points for Platinum and 50k for PRG. I remember exactly, that first year AF was waived in the offer, though I haven't made any screenshots (but it's not something special - if you try to apply for PRG now, you'll get 25k MR points, but still with waived fee for the 1st year). Moreover, when I spoke to their CSR during card activation I rechecked both important offer conditions (50k points and no AF for the 1st year) and he reconfirmed both. 

Should I become concerned already and call Amex tomorrow? Or this is the way how the "waiver" works - they post the fee in the statement and then several days later they post a statement credit, so nothing to worry about?

Thanks

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex PRG annual fee ... waived?

I don have a PRG but for the green I was not charged at all. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 2 of 7
CardinalRules
New Contributor

Hope you got things sorted out, but that's not usually how it works. They usually charge the annual fee a month or so before you've had the card for a year.

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 3 of 7
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@CardinalRules wrote:

Hope you got things sorted out, but that's not usually how it works. They usually charge the annual fee a month or so before you've had the card for a year.

Not true for charge cards. Fee is charged couple of days before your first statement closes.

In OP case, you simply need to call them and they will refund it for you.

Message 4 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

On my new PRG the AF was never charged
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 7
nickn86
Contributor

This has been a common problem for those who apped during that bonus period.  Don't worry about it; it's a mistake.  Send a secured message and they'll reverse it right away.  A lot of people were reporting this in the Flyertalk thread for the promo.

EDIT: This is not how it's supposed to work so you're gonna need to contact them.  I'd just recommend sending an SM--Amex responds very fast to those generally.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 6 of 7
littlelottie
Valued Member

@nickn86 wrote:

This has been a common problem for those who apped during that bonus period.  Don't worry about it; it's a mistake.  Send a secured message and they'll reverse it right away.  A lot of people were reporting this in the Flyertalk thread for the promo.

EDIT: This is not how it's supposed to work so you're gonna need to contact them.  I'd just recommend sending an SM--Amex responds very fast to those generally.

+1 Same thing happened to me.  I called and they reversed the fee. 

Starting Score (January 2013): TU: 704, EQ: 679, EX: 687
Current Score (September 2013): TU: 741. EQ: 703, EX: 712
Goal Score: 730 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.