Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG bonus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PRG bonus

I've been planning to get an Amex PRG card for about a year now, but have been in no hurry. I think the perks will make it worthwhile for me (airline fee credit + hotel collection), but I'm kind of "meh" about the everyday rewards-earning prospects. So I've been waiting around hoping a good bonus offer comes my way to entice me to finally pull the trigger.

Lately Amex keeps offering me 25,000 points for 1k spend. I get these offers both online and by mail. Is that likely to be the best I will ever get, or should I keep holding out for a better offer?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex PRG bonus

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been planning to get an Amex PRG card for about a year now, but have been in no hurry. I think the perks will make it worthwhile for me (airline fee credit + hotel collection), but I'm kind of "meh" about the everyday rewards-earning prospects. So I've been waiting around hoping a good bonus offer comes my way to entice me to finally pull the trigger.

Lately Amex keeps offering me 25,000 points for 1k spend. I get these offers both online and by mail. Is that likely to be the best I will ever get, or should I keep holding out for a better offer?

For the PRG there's a 50k MR offer that comes and goes, but it can be elusive for some.

It actually took me a few months to get it to come up again (at one time I could get it practically on demand).  Many people report fast success by using an incognito/private browser or simply deleting all their browser cookies, but for others of us (like myself) even that took a while.

FWIW, the 50k MR offer (usually) has either a $1k or $2k spend requirement... I've seen both.  The last offer I got was with the $2k spend requirement and I took it since I wasn't sure how long it would take me to see the $1k offer again (or even the $2k offer if I left that web page).

Message 2 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For the PRG there's a 50k MR offer that comes and goes, but it can be elusive for some.

It actually took me a few months to get it to come up again (at one time I could get it practically on demand).  Many people report fast success by using an incognito/private browser or simply deleting all their browser cookies, but for others of us (like myself) even that took a while.

FWIW, the 50k MR offer (usually) has either a $1k or $2k spend requirement... I've seen both.  The last offer I got was with the $2k spend requirement and I took it since I wasn't sure how long it would take me to see the $1k offer again (or even the $2k offer if I left that web page).

I've heard of 75k, and saw 40k first year + 25k second year = 65k total not long ago.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 10
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I was able to get an incognito 50K offer with a 2K spend in September. Did take a while of trying though before it finally came up. I also know that there was the 40K + 25K earned at year 2 offer floating around.

I think you can still get (or wait for) the 50K offer.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 4 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've heard of 75k, and saw 40k first year + 25k second year = 65k total not long ago.

+1

Good catch on the "first year + second year" bonus... they actually started that not too long after my own approval, which is why I didn't think of it right away.

Given the opportunity, that would actually be my pick since 65k MR points > 50k MR points.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Def wait for a 50K offer or the 2 year 40K+25K offer to show up. I can easily get those to come up using Incognito windows.

I've been thinking of either doing the PRG or the PLAT but I'm waiting for the 100K offer on the personal Plat to show up for me! I would make SO much use of the Centurion & other lounges.
Message 6 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Def wait for a 50K offer or the 2 year 40K+25K offer to show up. I can easily get those to come up using Incognito windows.

I've been thinking of either doing the PRG or the PLAT but I'm waiting for the 100K offer on the personal Plat to show up for me! I would make SO much use of the Centurion & other lounges.

I was very puzzled, based on your prior posts, why an SFO United (T3) flier didn't have a higher opinion of Platinum...

You can do what I did and go initally for a cobrand Platinum to try it out, keeping your eligibility for a better bonus on the regular Platinum.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

go for the 50k!  hit the spend fast! and if you dont travel, transfer your points to Plenti (if you have mobil/exxon near you). Thats $750 in free gas, etc, (in $25 increments), and not including the opportunities with the $100 now and $100 Jan 1!

plenti transfer bonus ends 12/31

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I got the 2 year 65K offer as well.  40K now, and 25K next year, just hope I remember to actually make the spend in time in the time frame necessary.  I also hop Amex remembers the offer that I have and get the MR credited.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was very puzzled, based on your prior posts, why an SFO United (T3) flier didn't have a higher opinion of Platinum...

You can do what I did and go initally for a cobrand Platinum to try it out, keeping your eligibility for a better bonus on the regular Platinum.

I just wish Amex Plat was more competitive with the Prestige and the C$R, that's all.. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.