Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG charge card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PRG charge card

I upgraded from my trusty green card yesterday to the PRG card and today i decided to try and get the 25k bonus points or the fee dropped for the year ( failed missrably at both) and i learned that new card members will be able to choose what catagory they want the new 3x point earning to be in. I dont know if the CSR i was chatting with just didnt know what was going on, or if they just dont have that info anywhere on the website but i thought that was pretty big. I am locked into flights apprently, as the CSR said "upgrades only get that option, new card members can choose what catagroy they want the 3x points in" Amex sure makes it had to stay happy when they seem to like new card members rather than ones who spend alot and upgrade... 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex PRG charge card

Many creditors are like this.  Sign up bonuses and perks tend to be reserved for new applications.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I upgraded from my trusty green card yesterday to the PRG card and today i decided to try and get the 25k bonus points or the fee dropped for the year ( failed missrably at both) and i learned that new card members will be able to choose what catagory they want the new 3x point earning to be in. I dont know if the CSR i was chatting with just didnt know what was going on, or if they just dont have that info anywhere on the website but i thought that was pretty big. I am locked into flights apprently, as the CSR said "upgrades only get that option, new card members can choose what catagroy they want the 3x points in" Amex sure makes it had to stay happy when they seem to like new card members rather than ones who spend alot and upgrade... 

Only the business version of the Gold Card allows you to choose a category, the personal one does not.  The only category that you will get 3X on the personal one is airline purchases.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I spoke to Amex about the same thing today and I was told that the upgrade is for new account members. I wasn't told about being locked into a category for bonus points. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.