Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG cloned twice in six months ...

tag
b_diddy
Established Contributor

Amex PRG cloned twice in six months ...

My Amex PRG has been cloned twice in the past 6 months  ... I have not been able to figure out if the source is somewhere I have used it locally or while traveling.  Unfortunately, there are multiple merchants where I have used the card more than once but I never use this particular card for online purchases.  It was most recently cloned/used illegally on Thankgsiving Day in New York City, and used 10 times  (taxi rides, starbucks, bloomies, etc.) in 4 hours, which caused a fraud alert.  I called immediately and all the charges will be reversed.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex PRG cloned twice in six months ...

@b_diddy wrote:

My Amex PRG has been cloned twice in the past 6 months  ... I have not been able to figure out if the source is somewhere I have used it locally or while traveling.  Unfortunately, there are multiple merchants where I have used the card more than once but I never use this particular card for online purchases.  It was most recently cloned/used illegally on Thankgsiving Day in New York City, and used 10 times  (taxi rides, starbucks, bloomies, etc.) in 4 hours, which caused a fraud alert.  I called immediately and all the charges will be reversed.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Do you use the CC for gas purchases?   I would think that a card reader at the pump is a very likely candidate for where your CC was skimmed.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 17
nyancat
Established Contributor

Look out but unfortunately there isn't much you can do until next year when EMV is widely deployed. Some Amex cards are available with contactless and that isn't cloneable so if you use contactless where you can it reduces the risk. I don't think the PRG is available with contactless though sadly.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 3 of 17
b_diddy
Established Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@b_diddy wrote:

Do you use the CC for gas purchases?   I would think that a card reader at the pump is a very likely candidate for where your CC was skimmed.  

@nyancat wrote:
Look out but unfortunately there isn't much you can do until next year when EMV is widely deployed. Some Amex cards are available with contactless and that isn't cloneable so if you use contactless where you can it reduces the risk. I don't think the PRG is available with contactless though sadly.

Yes, I have used it a time or two to purchase gas ... do crooks some how tap into these gas pump readers?

The most recent AMEX card I received is EMV (chip & sig) but very few merchants have the readers.  As well, Apple Pay is just now getting off the ground ... can't wait until more secure technology is widespread here in the States.  Chaps my hide when I think of the billions of dollars wasted through CC fraud!

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 4 of 17
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

There have been many stories on TV of people having a pump pass key and putting a credit card reader inside pump. Always buy gas at a well lit area close to the office at the gas station.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 17
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

As others have said, automatic gas pumps are primary suspects for this type of fraud. But theoretically it could happen anywhere. EMV will reduce (but not eliminate) cloning.

Once systems like Apple Pay become more prevalent, it should alleviate most of the cloning problem (pretty tough for any fraudster to steal your CC number, your phone, your password AND your fingerprint validation).
Message 6 of 17
nyancat
Established Contributor

EMV has not eliminated cloning due to fallback, I'd like to see banks offer an option once chip enabled terminal penetration is at 90% or so to have the stripe disabled on your card (always declined).
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 7 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

The thing i noticed about EMV usage around the area where i live none of the machines have turned on the EMV function. When i go an try and put my card in the emv reader they yell at me what are you doing just swipe it. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 17
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

The thing i noticed about EMV usage around the area where i live none of the machines have turned on the EMV function. When i go an try and put my card in the emv reader they yell at me what are you doing just swipe it. 

We're gonna need federal regulation to mandate EMV usage.  Otherwise, it will take years for it to become standard.  I think there's reason enough for intervention; tons of financial data are compromised each year.

Message 9 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Simba501 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

We're gonna need federal regulation to mandate EMV usage.  Otherwise, it will take years for it to become standard.  I think there's reason enough for intervention; tons of financial data are compromised each year.

unlesss banks and CCC push for it , i don't think governement will ever get involved. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.