Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG or Platinum?

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Amex PRG or Platinum?

I have been using the Zync for the past 9 months, charging up to 1.5k per month. When I first got it, I was not interested in redeeming my points for travel, as I was not traveling. However, things are going to change. I will be traveling once per year (starting next year, around March) from NYC to Santo Domingo, and I will be purchasing two tickets. I am thinking of waiting until my Zync becomes upgradeable, and then going for either the PRG or Platinum. That way, I can save my points and then transfer them to a program to buy the tickets next year. Or perhaps I However, I am not sure which one to go for. I am thinking about the Platinum because of the luggage fee credit, but I have never travel so I don't know how much the luggage fee will be. On the other hand, the PRG will give me triple points for travel.

Any thoughts? Since I will only be traveling once per year, is the PRG or Platinum even worth it?

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Amex PRG or Platinum?

If the luggage fee credit is the only perk you are going to get out of the platinum, then it isn't worth it. Go with the PRG instead.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 3
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Amex PRG or Platinum?

First of all please don't upgrade your Zync card. You will not receive a signup bonus and those can be lucrative. How much spend per year can you put on the new card? Do the math and see if you can earn enough points via spend to redeem points for flights. If the answer is no then it's not worth it. If it's close then perhaps the Platinum $200 airline credit will help make it worth it for you. Baggage fees are about $25 per bag per person one way for the first bag, and more for the second. Two people with one bag each for the trip you noted would be $100 so it might not be worth it if that's your only flight per year. 

Honestly one flight per year should not warrant a card with airline benefits. The AF would be greater than the perks. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.