Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PRG question

No Preset Spending Limit: so from your experience, do you they eventually cap you off and define a limit? Or, do you just charge away until you get declined when you're over what they are comfortable letting you spend? Read somewhere(might have been a youtube video) that they analyze your spending for a few months then define a limit. Trying to decide which card to use everyday... ED or PRG? However I'm about to reach spend bonus requirement on ED. Then I'll try for the BCE spend bonus which I should get with enough time to get the spend bonus on the PRG. It may just be SD'd for a month and a  half before I actually use it though and thats where my concern is.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex PRG question

Although it says a NPSL,  there is a set limit.  It gets adjusted as they see how you spend.  You can actually check how much you can spend with the charge cards using the "check spending ability link" on the account page.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Although it says a NPSL,  there is a set limit.  It gets adjusted as they see how you spend.  You can actually check how much you can spend with the charge cards using the "check spending ability link" on the account page.

aaah, thats what that link is for. Smiley Surprised thanks for the heads up. So it's fair to assume that spend ability flactuates?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No Preset Spending Limit: so from your experience, do you they eventually cap you off and define a limit? Or, do you just charge away until you get declined when you're over what they are comfortable letting you spend? Read somewhere(might have been a youtube video) that they analyze your spending for a few months then define a limit. Trying to decide which card to use everyday... ED or PRG? However I'm about to reach spend bonus requirement on ED. Then I'll try for the BCE spend bonus which I should get with enough time to get the spend bonus on the PRG. It may just be SD'd for a month and a  half before I actually use it though and thats where my concern is.

If you are asking whether once they set your spending ability that limit is immutable, then the answer is no. It constantly changes according to some algorithms. I always assumed that the more and the larger transactions you make the higher the limit goes, but I don't actually know. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are asking whether once they set your spending ability that limit is immutable, then the answer is no. It constantly changes according to some algorithms. I always assumed that the more and the larger transactions you make the higher the limit goes, but I don't actually know. 

You nailed it on the head! That right there was what I wanted to know. Thanks a bunch.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some people believe it's set for good in the first 5-6 months .
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

eek, if thats the case.. the ~1.5 months in the SD shouldn't affect it much. I hope.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Possible. What i said I got from an AMEX Chat CSR. Now, this would not be the first time a CSR got something wrong, but it makes no sense to me why they would set it in stone. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.