Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG question

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amex PRG question

Well this is an interesting situation. Closed my PRG account after the first year, but the AF had already posted. I have an outstanding balance on the card that needs to be paid off. I got credited back the $175 AF. Now here is the kicker. They credited me with the AF twice so I got a $350 credit. against my outstanding balance. Since the card is cancelled I guess I will just pay the new balance due and leave it at that? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Amex PRG question

That's what I would do, yeah. I wouldn't make any big fuss or draw extra attention, since it's closed anyway....I'd just pay it and move on

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

Well this is an interesting situation. Closed my PRG account after the first year, but the AF had already posted. I have an outstanding balance on the card that needs to be paid off. I got credited back the $175 AF. Now here is the kicker. They credited me with the AF twice so I got a $350 credit. against my outstanding balance. Since the card is cancelled I guess I will just pay the new balance due and leave it at that? 

I've heard of a signup bonus, but this is the first time I've ever heard of a closing bonus!

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just pay the balance and move on. AMEX wouldn't hear a peep from me.

Message 4 of 20
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Your responsibility as a card holder with any banking institution or any bill in general is to make sure the BALANCE is paid off. They made a mistake and credited you more than what was supposed to, that's not your responsibility, that's theirs. Just pay the balance and you'll be fine. I hope lol Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 20
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

Watch Amex CEO be a member on this forum Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally would be worried about karma ... That b gets you back every single time .
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just pay what they say you owe and check up on it every couple weeks for the next couple of months.
Message 8 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just pay what they say you owe and check up on it every couple weeks for the next couple of months.

+1, and +1 next month, and +1 every month for a while.

This kind of mistake can easily be caught by their reconciliation department. If you only pay the displayed net remaining balance, and they come back in March and remove the $175, and you are NOT watching it, then you have an open balance that needs to be paid, and a late, and it becomes not quite such a good bonus.

So I would pay the amount you actually owe, exclusive of the $175 you think is a mistake. Let the credit sit on the account. Leave the account unhidden in your AMEX on-line display. If they don't pick it up after a while, you can ask for a statement credit transfer or a check.

But I tend to think they will be taking this back.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I personally would be worried about karma ... That b gets you back every single time .

No it doesn't!   History is full of very evil people who lived happy long lives and good people who had horrible ends.  "Karma" is just a way of trying to make people be good.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.