Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG to Platinum upgrade

tag
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

Amex PRG to Platinum upgrade

Going to be doing a good amount of travel this year, thinking of upgrading the PRG to platinum. Anyone have any luck squeezing MR points from Amex for a product change instead of a new app?
Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Amex PRG to Platinum upgrade

You can check to see if you have any eligible upgrade offers. If you put in a new app you might not get the sign-up bonus, I think.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 20
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@icloud2525 wrote:
Going to be doing a good amount of travel this year, thinking of upgrading the PRG to platinum. Anyone have any luck squeezing MR points from Amex for a product change instead of a new app?

If you are going to do a lot of traveling this year do you think you make good use or will need the perks of the Plat?  The reason I ask is if you are looking for MR points the PRG is still the way to go plus with all the extra traveling and airlines which you get 3x on.  Plus the 2x on gas and groceries is tough to beat as far as Amex goes.

Message 3 of 20
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

I more was thinking about it for the perks. Airport lounges specifically. Have the BCP for gas and groceries. Was hoping to just get an initial bump in mr's for doing the upgrade, not trying to maximize MR over the course of the year.
Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 4 of 20
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I upgraded from a PRG to Plat in August, and while I asked if I was eligible for a upgrade bonus (like MR points), the CSR said I wasn't eligible. Then she went on about how it was their most prestigious card, and actually said "You deserve this card ma'am."  I wanted the travel benefits, so I went ahead with the upgrade.  Have already used the 200.00 travel credit and also the American Airlines lounges a few times.  I also have a BCP that I use for grocery shopping, so the PRG wasn't getting use there.  I had just paid the annual fee for the PRG, and I asked if that would be credited to the Plat annual fee, and the CSR said yes.  They still haven't billed me for the Plat annual fee though.  Would be great if they didn't.

Message 5 of 20
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@koalablue wrote:

I upgraded from a PRG to Plat in August, and while I asked if I was eligible for a upgrade bonus (like MR points), the CSR said I wasn't eligible. Then she went on about how it was their most prestigious card, and actually said "You deserve this card ma'am."  I wanted the travel benefits, so I went ahead with the upgrade.  Have already used the 200.00 travel credit and also the American Airlines lounges a few times.  I also have a BCP that I use for grocery shopping, so the PRG wasn't getting use there.  I had just paid the annual fee for the PRG, and I asked if that would be credited to the Plat annual fee, and the CSR said yes.  They still haven't billed me for the Plat annual fee though.  Would be great if they didn't.

I got 25k last week to go from Green to Platinum.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 20
texaspete2012
Established Member

How long had you been a greencard holder before the PC?

Amex Gold (NSL) 9/12
Chase Freedom (2200) 5/12
Citi Thank You Pref. (7000) 4/12
USAA AMEX (4000) 11/12
BOA VISA SIG CASH (5000) 12/12
Amex Gold Small Biz (NSL) 11/12
Message 7 of 20
navyox
Regular Contributor

If they don't offer an upgrade bonus you may be able to get a signup bonus if you apply from a different computer/browser/clear cookies before applying.     Not guaranteed but a lot of people have success with this trick.    It comes down to an option that MIGHT work, versus options that definitely won't.

Basically, Amex seems to hate giving bonus MR to existing customers, but don't mind it if you jump through some stupid hoops.   Not that I'm bitter Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 8 of 20
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@texaspete2012 wrote:

Right at a year

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 20
migo13
Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@texaspete2012 wrote:

Right at a year

Did they send you something in the mail or did you call in? I hit my year mark on my PRG and called in. The rep didn't have any offers for me, but said that I should be getting something around the 13-month mark.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.