Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG to Platinum worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PRG to Platinum worth it?

I currently have the PRG which is my main use card. I use it for almost everything besides a few reccuring bills that go to my Freedom/IT cards. I also recently opened the Delta Sky Miles card because I received a 50k mile bonus offer which I just received the miles for this past billing cycle.

I logged onto AMEX, and I received an upgrade offer for my PRG -> Platinum of 50k MRPs after $5k spend in 3 months. Just wondering if I should actually consider it or just pass it up. If the fee wasn't $450/yr i'd probably jump all over it but the fee is definitely making me hesitate.

I am only 23 but I was lucky enough to land a job that pays me very well and that income is increasing so naturally I am starting to travel more and spend some more. I would say as it stands I probably only fly 4-6 times a year but I am projecting that will steadily increase as I take long weekend trips and such.

I know limited information but based off of that should I consider the upgrade? Or what spend habits would make the Platinum worth it and see if I fall into those categories.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: Amex PRG to Platinum worth it?

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have the PRG which is my main use card. I use it for almost everything besides a few reccuring bills that go to my Freedom/IT cards. I also recently opened the Delta Sky Miles card because I received a 50k mile bonus offer which I just received the miles for this past billing cycle.

I logged onto AMEX, and I received an upgrade offer for my PRG -> Platinum of 50k MRPs after $5k spend in 3 months. Just wondering if I should actually consider it or just pass it up. If the fee wasn't $450/yr i'd probably jump all over it but the fee is definitely making me hesitate.

I am only 23 but I was lucky enough to land a job that pays me very well and that income is increasing so naturally I am starting to travel more and spend some more. I would say as it stands I probably only fly 4-6 times a year but I am projecting that will steadily increase as I take long weekend trips and such.

I know limited information but based off of that should I consider the upgrade? Or what spend habits would make the Platinum worth it and see if I fall into those categories.

Thanks!

I would say don't. Partly because an upgrade with 50K MR is for 5K spend. That is less than the rare offer of 75K -> 5K spend. If you can, get CSR for now and whenever you get a better off from AmEx regarding Platinum get that one. I know 100K MR is rarer than most of the offers but if you can find the next one you should get that one (remember it is once in a lifetime bonus and the spend is too high for 50K)

Message 2 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I would save the PRG and app outright for the Platinum through an incognito window and get the 75K offer for 5K/3mo's instead of 50K.

Now as to travel are you using a particular airline through work like Southwest or Delta?  Maybe something a little more specific to build up those perks and points.  Either way though 4-5 times a year should take care of the benefits Platinum offers if you dig into them.

11-29-2016 9-32-29 PM.jpg

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

The upgrade is great in the sense that you were offered an upgrade bonus ok 50k; however, the 5k minimum spend is pretty steep if you don't run that kind of money through your cards.  

If I were you, I would consider running another application for the Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum card or finding a good targeted offer for the regular Platinum.

Hear me out:

The Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum has an annual fee of $475.  This is $25 more than the regular Platinum card.  BUT... You also get a 50k sign up bonus after only $3k in spend within 3 months.  You are saving yourself a 2k spend requirement... AND... you also get a $100 certificate that you can use on Mercedes-Benz merchandise when you open the card.  You can always resell the merchandise on ebay and get your money back or more.  This brings the annual fee to $375 or below if you sell the product from the $100 certificate for more than you paid.

If you choose the regular Platinum card, you only get 40k points and you have to meet a spend of $3k in 3 months.  You still save yourself a $2k minimum spend requirement, but you loose out on 10k MR points.  

If the annual fee is an issue and you want to recoup back some of the cost, I would go for the Mercedes Benz Platinum card and keep the PRG.  Platinum and PRG make a powerful couple.  

I hope this sheds some light... or gives you a new point of view. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do upgrade you will get to use the travel credit in December and in January. Two for the price of one AF. 

Message 5 of 9
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

50k MR for 5k spend is not a great upgrade offer IMO.  Plat is definitley for travellers.  Keep in mind that the bonus structure on Plat is just a 1 for 1 but 5 pts/on airline purchases.  PRG gives you 3pts for airline and 2 for gas/groceries....just some food for thought.  I would wait for a better upgrade offer or that mystical 100k offer for 3k spend.  Good luck whatever you decide.

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 6 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

You might want to consider getting a new card for a better bonus....like 75k or 100k. I'm not sure what's available through links or incognito browsers.

If you just want to upgrade, check this out: https://www298.americanexpress.com/benefits/platinum/us/en/#/loungefinder

That's a tool that can help you determine which lounges you can access. I have a big appetite and like good food and wine, so I personally value access to a Delta lounge at about $25 and a Centurion lounge at about $40. I've not used lounges in their other networks yet. Only some lounges allow free guests. In particular, Centurion does but Delta doesn't.

The value of hotel elite status varies widely and is harder to ballpark.

Keep in mind the $200 airfare "extras" credits can really reduce the effective AF.

(By comparison, I only value Admirals access...not included on Platinum...at around $15 or $20 per person.)

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks All! I am in no real mood to upgrade or looking for anything new since I did just get the Delta card 2 months ago. I just figured I'd ask about the offer since its the first time I've received it and it clearly seems like the offer actually isn't that good.

I will hold off for now and wait. Maybe upgrade in a few years as the points back on Gas&Groceries with the PRG are definitely more useful for me right now than the 5x spend on airlines Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good decision op! 50k points just isn't enough of a sign up bonus for someone that doesn't spend their life in an airplane which is what the Plat card is made for!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.