Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG to Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex PRG to Platinum

@Anonymous wrote:
You absolutely must upgrade in response to a targeted upgrade offer (meaning by phone) or apply separately. If you simply "product change", you will not get a bonus, nor will you be eligible for a bonus down the road.

@Anonymous

I have a question about your comment in bold.  I have read on another forum that if you PC to the Platinum (or any eligible product) that if you don't receive a bonus for doing so that you can get a bonus later on by cancelling the card and applying for it.  Not true?  I know that you can do that with Chase but wasn't sure of Amex's policy.  Thanks as always for your contributions.

Message 11 of 14
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
You absolutely must upgrade in response to a targeted upgrade offer (meaning by phone) or apply separately. If you simply "product change", you will not get a bonus, nor will you be eligible for a bonus down the road.

@Anonymous

I have a question about your comment in bold.  I have read on another forum that if you PC to the Platinum (or any eligible product) that if you don't receive a bonus for doing so that you can get a bonus later on by cancelling the card and applying for it.  Not true?  I know that you can do that with Chase but wasn't sure of Amex's policy.  Thanks as always for your contributions.

I think you are correct that you could get a bonus down the road.  The terms are specific amount only getting one bonus per card for the lifetime of the product.  If you did a PC and did not get a bonus, cancelled the card, and later were to apply you should get a bonus.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Irish80 Unless they've changed their systems and practices since I left a few months ago, what I said is what's actually practiced. The system, as great as it is, for this purpose, simply looks to see if your SSN has had that "product code" in the past (which is why you can get a bonus again for the Mercedes-Benz Platinum after having the proprietary Platinum, for example). If you have, then it sees you as ineligible and does not systematically issue the bonus. A supervisor may be able to have your history researched and manually issue a bonus, but that is an intensive process involving several departments.

Message 13 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@Mattopotamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

I think you are correct that you could get a bonus down the road.  The terms are specific amount only getting one bonus per card for the lifetime of the product.  If you did a PC and did not get a bonus, cancelled the card, and later were to apply you should get a bonus.

I was just reading on FT and there are posts that say that you can not get the bonus again if you previously upgraded to an amex product even if you didn't get a bonus at the time. I don't have independent experience with this though. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.