cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG worth keeping once AF Hits ?!

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Amex PRG worth keeping once AF Hits ?!

unless I get a nice retention offer this next month, my card will be closed. I just bought a 78$ AA gift card (and got refunded) to use the rest of my airline credit. I'll probably open an ED card just for amex offers.
Message 21 of 41
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just recently got approved for a amex PRG with a 50k MR offer ! My question is ., is it worth paying the 195 AFnext year when it comes due , especially when i have these cards ?! 

Worth is always highly subjective and you can't just poll to determine worth and it's not just a matter of your other cards.  You need to run the numbers for your spend, consider how you redeem MR points and consider any other factors that are relevant to you (e.g. the features and benefits of the PRG).  You really should do this before applying for any card instead of doing so after.

Message 22 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just recently got approved for a amex PRG with a 50k MR offer ! My question is ., is it worth paying the 195 AFnext year when it comes due , especially when i have these cards ?! 

Worth is always highly subjective and you can't just poll to determine worth and it's not just a matter of your other cards.  You need to run the numbers for your spend, consider how you redeem MR points and consider any other factors that are relevant to you (e.g. the features and benefits of the PRG).  You really should do this before applying for any card instead of doing so after.

That's a bit harsh... I applied and was approved for my Green card without knowing upfront if it would be 'worth it' or not; that's what the first year AF waiver is for. 

I'll take the first year to use (or not use) my card, then I'll have a good idea if it's for me or not.  At that time, I will likely poll the community to make sure there's not some benefit I've missed or maybe I've not taken advantage of fully - after all, that's what this forum is for.  I will agree that 'worth' is subjective, but there's nothing wrong with asking other folks how a card has worked out for them.

I'm always willing to give my opinion, and I feel free to ask the opinion of others here in return.  I also will state that my opinion is just that (versus 'fact') and I expect others to do the same.  The key is to be "friendly, supportive, and respectful".

Message 23 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
unless I get a nice retention offer this next month, my card will be closed. I just bought a 78$ AA gift card (and got refunded) to use the rest of my airline credit. I'll probably open an ED card just for amex offers.

not neccessary as you could open up Amex Serve, either pay $1 a month or move around $500, still be able to get Amex Offers.... just a fyi :-)

Message 24 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not always good to speculate but I wonder if people who have just a serve get the same target offers as the cards Amex wants you to have. Twitter facebook offers are the same of course.
Message 25 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@jfriend

I'm not gonna pay 12$ a month for something I can get for free Smiley Tongue
Message 26 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's not always good to speculate but I wonder if people who have just a serve get the same target offers as the cardsAmex wants you to have. Twitterfacebook offers are the same of course.

I have a Serve in addition to my Green and BCP.  The Serve is used to 'house' my cash rewards redemptions, and it gets a $10 monthly "direct deposit" from my checking account to waive the monthly fee.

While a few offers are across all three cards, the others seem rather random and obscure to be honest.  Also, on my Serve the offers are more driven by my billing ZIP code, similar to the way the offers are for the other two cards when using the app.  When using the website for the two 'regular' cards the offers are more general, and are even different from each other.

I will say this much, other than one Amazon offer a couple of years ago, I've not used any of the offers on the Serve.  I've recently used several of the offers on the other two cards, so it's really a YMMV thing in the truest sense.  Sometimes I wonder if it's genuinely random, then I remember that it's American Express we're talking about, and there is nothing random with them.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
@jfriend

its 1 dollar a month, if u add 500 and take 500 back between accounts, the $1 fee is waived...

Message 28 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
@jfriend

its 1 dollar a month, if u add 500 and take 500 back between accounts, the $1 fee is waived...

$1 a month isn't bad, but so far I've been able to avoid it by sending a small $10 "direct deposit" into Serve. 

Actually, until your post I was unaware the requirement had changed to $500.  I logged into my account and it does indeed now specify that the direct deposit must be $500 or more, yet last month my fee was waived with only $10 being sent, just as it has been since they started charging the monthly fee.  I guess I'm grandfathered for the moment?  So far I've not received any communication of it changing, but I'm sure they will get to me eventually... <sigh>

Message 29 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
@jfriend

I meant $12/year bahaha. That's what happens when I post from work. That's for too much work for something I can get while avoiding all of that though. Maybe I'll get a nice retention offer on my PRG though. Hopefully a waived AF, cause I really dont feel like paying the $195 AF. Ritz AF is due soon, and I value that card more than my PRG. 

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.