Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Payment Fail

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

Amex Payment Fail

I screwed up.

I made a payment on my BRG card Thursday from an account I'm getting ready to close (The due date was Thursday).  The payment posted to my Amex account that day.  Only today (Sunday) did I realized I made the payment from account with no money.  I called Amex right away and was told not to worry, to let the payment fail and immediately make one from the correct account.  However, I'm really worried this will pop up on Amex's radar and lead to an AA / Fr etc etc.  Anyone else ever made a mistake like this ? Were the outcomes good or bad ? I seem to see stories on here of people with years of history with Amex, then they miss a payment and Amex shuts everything down.

Feeling pretty stupid right now .  . 

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Payment Fail

@n777ua wrote:

I screwed up.

I made a payment on my BRG card Thursday from an account I'm getting ready to close (The due date was Thursday).  The payment posted to my Amex account that day.  Only today (Sunday) did I realized I made the payment from account with no money.  I called Amex right away and was told not to worry, to let the payment fail and immediately make one from the correct account.  However, I'm really worried this will pop up on Amex's radar and lead to an AA / Fr etc etc.  Anyone else ever made a mistake like this ? Were the outcomes good or bad ? I seem to see stories on here of people with years of history with Amex, then they miss a payment and Amex shuts everything down.

You'll be fine. Everyone is entitled to a mistake. Smiley Happy

It looks like you've established good history too with them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

Yeah +1 small things but I think it can potentially impact a new app. Denial reason: 'failed payment within 60 days' 

In my case, actually didn't have a failed payment (though a payment which was received in full did overdraft from savings by a small margin, not sure if that played any role, it shouln't have since the payment was received)

In any case, got a letter a few weeks later acknowledging the denial reason was an error on their part.

IIRC waited about 3 months before re-applying and was instantly approved. Point being, even if they just think there was a failed payment, for any reason, the account may be flagged in some way. However, on its own, w/o other contributing factors is probably unlikely to lead to more strident AA- besides the no new account w/i 60 days of failed payment penalty AFAIK. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 6
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

I screwed up.

I did that once. I cleaned out my checking out and then then promptly and diligently went and paid my (Amex) credit card bill. Luckily, my bank let that charge go through and promptly docked me an overdraft fee. I once talked to a banker and she said she expected that the bank would always let overdrafts go through on my account since it depends on patterns of deposits and balances. So, Amex didn't know a thing and no effect there. But I was pretty upset at the overdraft charge.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 4 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

A bank will generally offer a one time courtesy OD fee waiver on request.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 6
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

+1...you'll be fine Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.