Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Payments and Reporting

tag
wrw0010
New Contributor

Amex Payments and Reporting

I just received an Amex Delta Skymiles card and I plan on PIF every month. However, if Amex reports whatever the statement balance is to the CRAs, won't this make it look like I'm carrying a significant balance even though the reality is that I am carrying none?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Payments and Reporting

I would think that is why you should know what date AmEx reports to the CRBs, that way you can pay the balance down to 1-9% before it reports, yet you can still charge as much as you want. Just make sure >10% gets reported to the bureaus.
Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age... but only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Message 2 of 10
wrw0010
New Contributor

Does anyone know when Amex reports to the CRAs? Is it right after the statement date or end of the calendar month?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

There re plenty of Amex cardholders here.  Its not only important to know what date they report but also if they report the statement balance or the balance as of the date of reporting.  For those that report statement balance I sched my payments to post BEFORE the statement date so they reflect a 0 balance.
Message 4 of 10
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Brammy wrote:
 For those that report statement balance I sched my payments to post BEFORE the statement date so they reflect a 0 balance.

I thought it wasn't good to have a $0 balance reporting to the CRAs!!Smiley Surprised
Message 5 of 10
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

For me, they report my statement balance several days after my statement closes. However, they usually report one month behind.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

SpecFile wrote:

Brammy wrote:
 For those that report statement balance I sched my payments to post BEFORE the statement date so they reflect a 0 balance.

I thought it wasn't good to have a $0 balance reporting to the CRAs!!Smiley Surprised

That depends on a lot of things.  If you have several accounts reporting a balancethat can count against you.  I usually have a few reporting balances and some that don't.  For low-rate Bts an such they will always report a balance for those that I PIF each month, I try not t let them show a balance or I rotat which one month to month will show a balance.

Message Edited by Brammy on 10-03-2007 04:22 PM
Message 7 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

wrw0010 wrote:
Does anyone know when Amex reports to the CRAs? Is it right after the statement date or end of the calendar month?

Both my Gold and Blue are reported shorly after the statement date and statement balances are reported.
Message 8 of 10
wrw0010
New Contributor

So I should try to pay off shortly before the statement?
Message 9 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

wrw0010 wrote:
So I should try to pay off shortly before the statement?

Yes, if you wanna save money and have a lower balance or PIF balance reported.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.