Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plat AF refund

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amex Plat AF refund

What is the Amex policy when it comes to getting the AF back on the plat? The AF is going to hit in a few months and I don't want to keep the card for another year. However, I will have use for the card in the month right after the AF hits. Will they do a partial or full refund if I cancel a month after it posts? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Plat AF refund

With Amex, it's always a pro-rate refund.  So, if you use the card for a month (30 days), they'll refund you 11 months.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most companies that charge fees for anything are going to keep those fees once they're charged. But you can ask American Express about it.

Message 3 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Pro-rated by month. I just got back 1/12 of my EDP AF after I downgraded to ED after 11 months.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I will also be cancelling my Platinum at around same time as you red as we all got it for 100k MR offer mainly..  My recent PRG will be good enough for me and more of a general spend card and my Ritz/CSP willl be used as my travel cards so no room for the Platinum for me personally.. Will be cancelling on 11th month so i dont have to deal with paying AF then getting it refunded

Message 5 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

With Amex, it's always a pro-rate refund.  So, if you use the card for a month (30 days), they'll refund you 11 months.

+1 exactly

Message 6 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Most companies that charge fees for anything are going to keep those fees once they're charged. But you can ask American Express about it.

Most do but not Amex. Pro rated always on all cards that have AF.

Message 7 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I will also be cancelling my Platinum at around same time as you red as we all got it for 100k MR offer mainly..  My recent PRG will be good enough for me and more of a general spend card and my Ritz/CSP willl be used as my travel cards so no room for the Platinum for me personally.. Will be cancelling on 11th month so i dont have to deal with paying AF then getting it refunded

Wow. can't beleive you are canceling it. But i agree the prg is all the charge card i need. I will finally use my Airline credit in june. $100. Not sure what to charge on that puppy since amex will cover the incidentials. I guess a few shots will do it. maybe not. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@taxi818 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Wow. can't beleive you are canceling it. But i agree the prg is all the charge card i need. I will finally use my Airline credit in june. $100. Not sure what to charge on that puppy since amex will cover the incidentials. I guess a few shots will do it. maybe not. Smiley Happy

lounge access is my guess what to use it for possibly AA lounge access??  Ya the platinum AF is to steep for me with how much i travel and no centurion loungers where I have been traveling lately and dont feel like forking over another 450... Ritz I am keeping and that is already a 400 AF then PRG 200 and mis other cards another 300 so 900 in AFs is enough for this kid.

Message 9 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

I feel ya. I'm at about $500 in annual fees. That's it for me.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.