Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plat. Centurion Lounge ??

tag
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Plat. Centurion Lounge ??

@tiffjtiffj wrote:

Will they add more though? I still can't believe there isn't one here at LAX Smiley Frustrated

ATL is my home base, and I am surpised there is not a Centurion Lounge.  Gratned there are probably 10 delta lounges and a couple Priority Pass lounges.  The lougnes alone cover the annual fee.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, and what about EWR? But they have one at LGA, not JFK?

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't pay for anything in Centurion Lounges. All free although it is encouraged that you tip the bar tender. LAS is busy but the buffet always has food and I've never had a problem finding a place to sit. Houston is even less busy than that although I'm typically there early. I've only been there once later in the day and it wasn't nearly as busy as LAS.

Message 13 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for your very thoughtful feedback. I'm astonished though that you have to pay for everything except for basic soft drinks, water, juice. Sounds VERY stingy to me! And yes the extra $100 a year should weed out some of the more cost conscious consumers. More elbow room for me!

@rex_03 wrote:

^^^, as mentioned above you CAN absolutely use them on arrival/or departure. I do this quite frequently.. After a long flight I will come in for a quick shower, and shave, and then be on my way.. Drinks are great, and food offerings are also on par. Beats the airport kiosks and their pricing. Priority pass as another platinum benefit is hit/miss depending on where you go, but it fills in the gaps though.. Enjoy your card and your BENEFITS!!

Where are you getting this much misinformation about the Cent lounges? Or are you saying that other lounges make you pay for food? I've heard that some of the really top tier booze at Centurion is hidden and reserved for actual Centurion customers who flash the card (not sure if it's true), but the food and the on-display drinks are free (but do tip for drinks). As a "mere" Platinum member I've had tip-only cognac, pinot noir, etc...much more than just a house cab like at some Admirals Clubs.

I'm not sure about the odds of diminished crowding. A lot of frequent travelers can use half or more of the Uber credit, and they will be the ones who actually use the lounges most. Crowding is not reduced when people who don't use the lounges cancel their cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 21
resilient
Established Contributor

Atlanta is my home airport, but since being stationed in Central America, I fly through Miami, and sometimes Houston. Miami's lounge is ALWAYS packed. There's always food though....you just may have to eat standing up, which I'm not complaining about, because the food there is delicious. Houston's lounge is pretty busy, but there are usually seats. Enjoy them! Best benefit of the card to me!

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So to tip can you just hand over your Amex card to the bartender and ask him to take X as a tip?

No way anyone should use cash there...
Message 16 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So to tip can you just hand over your Amex card to the bartender and ask him to take X as a tip?

No way anyone should use cash there...

They don't take Amex. The fees are too high. Smiley Tongue

Cash only, AFAIK. When I've lacked small bills, I've gotten change (before starting on my drink) for a $10.

Message 17 of 21
shinedown87
Regular Contributor

For those of you that are going to the lounge upon arrival, is this something that you are only doing if you do not have a checked bag? 

I have often considered doing this, but I generally have a checked bag, so I skip the lounge upon arrival so my bag isn't left on the belt for the baggage team to handle. 

Message 18 of 21
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

@shinedown87 wrote:

For those of you that are going to the lounge upon arrival, is this something that you are only doing if you do not have a checked bag? 

I have often considered doing this, but I generally have a checked bag, so I skip the lounge upon arrival so my bag isn't left on the belt for the baggage team to handle. 

I peronsally always carry on, hopefully others can chime in.  I just go straight the lounge after I arrive.  I have a 6:30am flight tomorrow, and will be getting breakfast as soon as I arrive Smiley Happy

To the tips:  Always carry a few bucks on you when you are visiting a lounge.  Sure it is free, but like open bars at a wedding, you should tip the bartender.

Message 19 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Mattopotamus wrote:

@shinedown87 wrote:

I peronsally always carry on, hopefully others can chime in.  I just go straight the lounge after I arrive.  I have a 6:30am flight tomorrow, and will be getting breakfast as soon as I arrive Smiley Happy

To the tips:  Always carry a few bucks on you when you are visiting a lounge.  Sure it is free, but like open bars at a wedding, you should tip the bartender.

I used it upon arrival with a checked bag once, but I ate quickly and didn't have anything fragile or irreplaceable in the bag. It was an old and somewhat beat-up bag and I'm not sure it would have interested a thief. When I finished and went to baggage claim, my bag had been removed from the carousel and was just sitting there on its own.

So I've done it and it's worked for me...but it's probably not a good idea in general.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.