Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plat Qs

tag
dmbtay
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Plat Qs

yes, AMEX will offer extended pay (basically credit terms) to charge card holders with a perfect history.  The flip side is that the interest doesn't make it even worth considering.  PIF is the way to go.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Tanner thanks for the reply. You got a Amex Centurion. Smiley Very Happy THat's my final goal. I read on the forum that you must spend 25k on amex plat monthly to get invited to Centurion. LEt's say Amex approved me for amex plat. Then I charged 5k on the card. Does that mean I need to pay 5k at the end of the month? or do they have monthly payment system like visa or mastercard?

You pay 5K. There is no minimum payments, you must pay off your entire balance by the end of your statement.

Do you really need Platinum and Centurion?

Duh. How else would I get Platanium? Smiley Very Happy

They tie together so both act as one.

I see you say this in your sig but I have no idea what this means/accomplishes.
Message 12 of 21
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Why do you want an amex platinum specifically? Do you travel a lot? Also what's your annual spend like?
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dmbtay wrote:

yes, AMEX will offer extended pay (basically credit terms) to charge card holders with a perfect history.  The flip side is that the interest doesn't make it even worth considering.  PIF is the way to go.

Just curious what is the APR on extended pay for charge cards?

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@dmbtay wrote:

I think it may vary, but Amex gave me 15.24%.

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dmbtay wrote:

I think it may vary, but Amex gave me 15.24%.

That's not too bad!

Message 16 of 21
pakman92
Established Contributor

I've had 'pre-approved' for Amex Plat show up whenever I log on to my Amex account for many years.  Is the high AF really worth it?  

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me share my experience with the MB plat
Hit the $1000 spend in a couple weeks. Got a bunch of extra points through the mall, booked travelicity at 3X for my upcoming trip as well.
Used airline credit for AA gift cards for a flight I was going to purchase anyway.
Now down to $275. MB $100 giftcard, get a jacket for my mother who likes MB stuff, it was about time I got her something anyway Smiley Happy
Now 175 effectively. When I get global entry $100 and I can get through customs quickly when I return from the London trip. AF is now $75...
Concierge just helped with some really difficult dining stuff in Phoenix -- my cousin and her husband have terrible allergies to just about everything ^_^'.
Even found me a gluten free dessert that can be delivered to the restaurant.
Food and drinks with the priority pass on my next trip (air france graf lounge has food now)....
Effectively this brings my AF to 0 (in my mind)... 50,000 bonus MR plus my current points=free r/t to Australia or Singapore.
Worth it? To me yes. I don't run 100k per year through my cards but I do travel and it presents a good value to me.
For booking most airfare I'll use the PR gold. If the numbers all come out well ahead when that's up for renewal next year I'll keep both.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't take the extended pay on the plat, have it on the prg, probably will never use it.
Also customer service is hit and miss. When it's good it's exceptional, sometimes you get some real clueless ones.
So I wouldn't get the card on the basis of that alone.
Incidentally I've never gotten a foreign rep, a rep once seemed to indicate some notation on my account. Maybe they see me as profitable or something lol. I keep buying their trip insurance products.
Message 19 of 21
FrugalRican
Blogger

Anyone ever get the Plat for the first year and just decide they didn't want to pay the AF and cancel it?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.