Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plat SPG status after Marriott Merger

tag
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Amex Plat SPG status after Marriott Merger

This may have already been discussed, but I don't feel like combing through the 1.3 million other posts to find the answer.

Once the Marriott/SPG merger occurs, will AmEx Platinum still offer gold status?

I'm asking because I currently have the Ritz Carlton and AmEx Platinum card for gold status in both Marriott and SPG. I'm looking to close my Ritz card because for $395 a year, the only benefit I use is the gold status and the novelty of the metal card. I'd like to merge that credit limit with other Chase cards.

OR, I'm also considering closing my Platinum card or downgrading it at least. I honestly can't say that I use all of the platinum benefits. Most benefits seem to still be good deals, but even with the savings the out of pocket costs for the benefits is still expensive. I just keep the card for the personal satisfaction of reaching the point of being able to be a Platinum card member (Weird, I know but that's a personal achievement of mine that I'm proud of).

Any thoughts or has anyone heard of what's to come from the merger?
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Plat SPG status after Marriott Merger

@ray8806 wrote:
This may have already been discussed, but I don't feel like combing through the 1.3 million other posts to find the answer.

Once the Marriott/SPG merger occurs, will AmEx Platinum still offer gold status?

I'm asking because I currently have the Ritz Carlton and AmEx Platinum card for gold status in both Marriott and SPG. I'm looking to close my Ritz card because for $395 a year, the only benefit I use is the gold status and the novelty of the metal card. I'd like to merge that credit limit with other Chase cards.

OR, I'm also considering closing my Platinum card or downgrading it at least. I honestly can't say that I use all of the platinum benefits. Most benefits seem to still be good deals, but even with the savings the out of pocket costs for the benefits is still expensive. I just keep the card for the personal satisfaction of reaching the point of being able to be a Platinum card member (Weird, I know but that's a personal achievement of mine that I'm proud of).

Any thoughts or has anyone heard of what's to come from the merger?

No one knows yet what will happen after the merger is complete and any speculation is pure guessing.  We all will have to wait and find out.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.