cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plat not reporting?

tag
kahuhipa2

Amex Plat not reporting?

I have been an amex user for 20+ years. Had a charge off 2 years ago and they closed account. I contested the charge off paid it in full (within 30 days of the notice) and the acct was re-opened. I have been using the card ever since, no spending limit. I pulled my credit in Dec and charge off was showing. Talked with Amex credit in February and before I could ask for the delete she said the charge off account would be deleted from report. Actual current account not reporting.  Should I ask them to report? Trying to repair credit, looking to buy a  house in 6 mos to 1 year. Thank you...

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Plat not reporting?

Can you can get them to report it without the lates and charge~off ? If not then I'm not sure it's a good idea, your FICO score won't like it. Why don't you just open another AMEX or three ? They will backdate and give you positive history just like your platinum card.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 15
RyVision
Valued Contributor

It might seem odd, but if it hasn't been 2 cycles since they deleted the negative TL, they may be taking the same kind of time to report the good account as when starting a new TL with them.  If it has been over 2 months (cycles), you might want to call, if not, the changing around of accounts could be the delay.  JM2C

[EDIT]:  I just noticed you contacted them in February, if it was late Feb and your next statement would be in late March (then the end of each month etc), you'd be in your 3rd month\cycle since the account was deleted I'd think.  You might want to call, sorry, I hadn't noticed the timing before.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 3 of 15
kahuhipa2

Ironically my husband is an authorized user on my card an the account shows up on his report and he has the benefit of the 20+ years of the account.  I had a hard time talking with the credit department at the time the charge off was removed.  I did ask if the current status would report and she ket reapeating that the acoount would not report.  I think it is worth a try and give them a call.   I would hate for it to report again and the charge off shows up.  Thanks for the input.

Message 4 of 15
kahuhipa2

Hi there thank you for your response.  I actually have the business premiere card with them which of course does not report and I'm not sure I want another account.  I wouldn't even know which card to apply for.  My husband is an authorized user and the account shows up on his report.  Do you have any suggestions of which department to talk with? Customer service or the credit division? It would be great to have the account report without the charge off.

Note: when I called in February to ask for the deletion of the charge off, I did not even have a chance to ask for the delete.  She mentioned that it was being deleted because I had called many times before, which I had not. She said they were making an exception and that this type of deletion does not normally happen.  I was grateful, I could not argue otherwise (couldn't get a word in). I don't know if this was unusual of run of the mill for them. Any thoughts?

Message 5 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You would need to talk with whoever you spoke with previously. AMEX will usually GW delete accounts but I don't recall many people reporting lates being removed. AMEX has a lot of no annual fee cards available if you choose to open a new account.
Message 6 of 15
kahuhipa2

Good suggestions. I think I will wait a few more cycles and see if the account starts to report again. If I did open a third account with Amex which card should I consider since II already have the business gold and the platinum. If I do apply will it be a hard pull? Thanks again for the advice.
Message 7 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If you want a charge card you could consider the Zync, it only has a $25 AF. There are a number of credit cards with no AF, like BCE.....take a look at their website for more details. AMEX usually pulls Experian, it would be a hard pull only if you are approved, soft pull if you are declined.
Message 8 of 15
kahuhipa2

Thank you again for your advice. Why is it easier to get a charge card vs. a credit card from Amex? I always thought a charge card was harder to acquire. I have had my card for so long that until the current credit crisis I never really put much thought into credit vs. charge cards. I have other credit cads but have really limited myself to what I carry... Amex and one other MC. Thanks again.
Message 9 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Charge cards have to be paid in full vs credit cards which can carry balances indefinately, so there is more risk associated with credit cards. AMEX controls their exposure with charge cards through the use of their internal spending limit, which changes over time and varies with cards and cardmembers.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.