Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plat question

tag
texaspete2012
Established Member

Amex Plat question

Guys,

I have one big trip (nov) and few smaller ones next year and I want to PC to amex plat to get the travel perks. I have had my amex gold since 9/12. Would this be a HP for the upgrade? Would I be eligible for the 25k current bonus point offer? Or is that for new members only? So much conflicting info out there. Any help would be great..

Thanks..

Amex Gold (NSL) 9/12
Chase Freedom (2200) 5/12
Citi Thank You Pref. (7000) 4/12
USAA AMEX (4000) 11/12
BOA VISA SIG CASH (5000) 12/12
Amex Gold Small Biz (NSL) 11/12
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Plat question

@texaspete2012 wrote:

Guys,

I have one big trip (nov) and few smaller ones next year and I want to PC to amex plat to get the travel perks. I have had my amex gold since 9/12. Would this be a HP for the upgrade? Would I be eligible for the 25k current bonus point offer? Or is that for new members only? So much conflicting info out there. Any help would be great..

Thanks..

You can PC but chances of the bonus is slim unless you apply YMMV

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

You can PC without a hard inquiry, however you are not eligible for the sign-up bonus.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 9
adavis425
Established Contributor

@texaspete2012 wrote:

Guys,

Thanks..

No HP for the upgrade. I upgraded from Gold to Plat in May and received the bonus points promptly after my first purchase. I have read/heard the conflicting info as well, but my experience was positive. YEMV but go for it and good luck. Smiley Happy 

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 4 of 9
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Call and ask.

Sometimes they offer upgrade promo's.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 9
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@texaspete2012 wrote:

Guys,

Thanks..

No HP for the upgrade. I upgraded from Gold to Plat in May and received the bonus points promptly after my first purchase. I have read/heard the conflicting info as well, but my experience was positive. YEMV but go for it and good luck. Smiley Happy 

@I am never a fan of doing a PC for an AMEX card, because of backdating and depending on your credit profile you could be trading 1 HP for a LONG positive tradeline and a better chance @ the MR points.

Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
You can PC without a hard inquiry, however you are not eligible for the sign-up bonus.

+1

You could ask but results will vary from some who may get the bonus.  Typically, if you are a high spender on your current card, there may be some leeway, often times not.

Message 7 of 9
texaspete2012
Established Member

Thank You For the info. 

I spend around 1500-2000 a month with Amex. I doubt this will impress them, but its not nothing. So consenus is no HP for PC, but the 25k promotion is YMMV. I think I might call. 

Amex Gold (NSL) 9/12
Chase Freedom (2200) 5/12
Citi Thank You Pref. (7000) 4/12
USAA AMEX (4000) 11/12
BOA VISA SIG CASH (5000) 12/12
Amex Gold Small Biz (NSL) 11/12
Message 8 of 9
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

OP, i love your hot sauce!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.