Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum - 1st year no fee plus 25K MR

tag
Miscellamy
Contributor

Amex Platinum - 1st year no fee plus 25K MR

Sorry if this is old news, but I didn't see any other posts about it. 

The Ameriprise version of the Amex Platinum waives the $450 annual fee for the first year -- the downside is that they ordinarily don't offer any signup bonus. But right now they're offering 25K MR points after spending $3K in the first 3 months. I think it's good through the end of August. It's basically the same as the (non-targeted) PRG offer, but you get all of the Platinum benefits. I just took the bait. Smiley Very Happy

Oh, and the CSR mentioned that it's a chip and pin card. I didn't realize that! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum - 1st year no fee plus 25K MR

That's a superb offer. What's the criteria for applying? Do you have to be an Ameriprise member? I'm unfamiliar with them.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 2 of 9
Miscellamy
Contributor

The fine print says that you need to have a relationship with Ameriprise and Amex reserves the right to close your account if you don't have an account with them.

I don't have one. Anecdotal evidence says that you don't *actually* need to have an Ameriprise account, but I guess it's apply at your own risk. The application doesn't ask anything about it. 

Message 3 of 9
CreditJim
Established Contributor

I was just trying to make sense of the fine print. Going through the application, it doesn't ask you anything as you say. I have the business Platinum, have never had the personal Platinum, do you think I'd still be eligible for the bonus?

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 4 of 9
Miscellamy
Contributor

I think so, although who knows with their shifting policies. Worth a try, right?

Message 5 of 9
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Even without the signup bonus, the waiving of the annual fee for the first year definitely solves a bit of a dilema I've had lately regarding my Amex lineup. Thanks for the heads up.

Message 6 of 9
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Yeah, this is almost worth getting for me.  Does anyone know if you can PC this card to a no fee card when the AF comes due?

Message 7 of 9
CreditJim
Established Contributor

There isn't a no AF charge card so I doubt it.

Message 8 of 9
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

There isn't a no AF charge card so I doubt it.

Good point, thanks.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.