cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Annual Fee Reduction With Complaint?

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Annual Fee Reduction With Complaint?

@NRB525 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

He ain't that bad. Some of his new stuff is almost bearable.

As far as your complaint, you won't get anything. I've never had to wait on hold for the concierge for an hour, that sounds a little ridiculous. Amex and Citi both have online portals to buy tickets, either specially priced, special seats, or presales. Best way to do it in my opinion.

ETA: I may be "that guy" but if I ever need something important, I call/email every concierge I have (JPM, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige, WEMC, and Visa Siggy) and put them all to work at the same time. 

The wheel on my Aunt's mobility scooter recently broke before she was about to go on a trip, and I wanted to get her a new one before her trip so she'd be able to use it, so I called Amex, JPM and Citi to get me one to my house within 2 days. Amex Plat told me they couldn't find one, as did citi, JPM got me one shipped to my house. Pays to hedge your bets. 

What happens if you get three scooters? Or, heaven forbid, three sets of four Bieber tickets?

They all contact me before making the purchase. That is why I send requests over email usually. Nowhere in my email do I give them authorization to use my card, so they call me or email me with the details first, and then I give them authorization. 

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

As far as your complaint, you won't get anything. I've never had to wait on hold for the concierge for an hour, that sounds a little ridiculous. Amex and Citi both have online portals to buy tickets, either specially priced, special seats, or presales. Best way to do it in my opinion.

ETA: I may be "that guy" but if I ever need something important, I call/email every concierge I have (JPM, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige, WEMC, and Visa Siggy) and put them all to work at the same time. 

The wheel on my Aunt's mobility scooter recently broke before she was about to go on a trip, and I wanted to get her a new one before her trip so she'd be able to use it, so I called Amex, JPM and Citi to get me one to my house within 2 days. Amex Plat told me they couldn't find one, as did citi, JPM got me one shipped to my house. Pays to hedge your bets. 

What happens if you get three scooters? Or, heaven forbid, three sets of four Bieber tickets?

The humanity!!

Message 12 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone had any luck getting a platinum fee reduced, extra membership rewards.....etc becuase of complaining? 

While only Amex is privy to their criteria, complaining in of its own is unlikely to yield good results.  However, complaining along with $50K or greater annual spend may get you 50K MR retention offer.

Message 13 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone had any luck getting a platinum fee reduced, extra membership rewards.....etc becuase of complaining? 

While only Amex is privy to their criteria, complaining in of its own is unlikely to yield good results.  However, complaining along with $50K or greater annual spend may get you 50K MR retention offer.

+1.  Gotta pay to play Unfortunately the Amex Plat. Isn't the best rewards earner although I am enjoying some of the offers this holiday season to offset some of the AF also using airline credits and TSA global entry paid for and the 100k MR has  paid for its first years membership for meSmiley Happy 

Message 14 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

+1.  Gotta pay to play Unfortunately the Amex Plat. Isn't the best rewards earner although I am enjoying some of the offers this holiday season to offset some of the AF also using airline credits and TSA global entry paid for and the 100k MR has  paid for its first years membership for meSmiley Happy 

Hey CC, you're Green!  Congrats!

The 100K was an incredible offer, especially when combined with some of the Amex benefits.  Personally, I'm finding their Centurion Lounges an extremely nice value, considering there's one not only in my home airport, but many of the ones I fly to.  For that alone, I'm likely to continue paying for the card.

You're right, I don't like to run spend through it, unless it's for an item where I may need accidental or chargeback protection.

Message 15 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Hey CC, you're Green!  Congrats!

The 100K was an incredible offer, especially when combined with some of the Amex benefits.  Personally, I'm finding their Centurion Lounges an extremely nice value, considering there's one not only in my home airport, but many of the ones I fly to.  For that alone, I'm likely to continue paying for the card.

You're right, I don't like to run spend through it, unless it's for an item where I may need accidental or chargeback protection.

Ya thanks finally hit green. Not sure on the formula they use as a few others I can think of off-hand should be it as well!  

I really wish they had the centurion lounge where I live, but honestly it might be the next place they put one, we shall see..  Haven't had a chance to use it yet as I haven't flown into Vegas in the last several years, but will probably this next year and get to see it..   Who ever thought you would possibly want to hang out at an airport lol.  Free drinks and food is always good though!

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 sets of 4 and ticketmaster is ever so kind to void them all out for free =P

@NRB525 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Message 17 of 20
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

We still allow him in this country?  Canada doesn't want him either.

In all seriousness unless you spend 50k+ on your Platinum a year chances are slim to none of getting your AF reduced.  Might be time to cut ties with the card if it doesn't give you a benefit.  That way you don't have to pay AF.   Best of luck whatever you decide, but AF waiving isn't in the cards.

A friend of mine gets his waived each year, granted he works for a company and has a company platinum that he runs a ton through each month in travel/hotels.  So to each rule is an exception.  He doesn't ask for it to be waived either he just calls and wants to cancel his card and they refund him each year due to the other relationship with them

I wouldnt hold my breath.. I spend many multiples of that with business purchases each year and I have yet to get my annual fee waived.

Message 18 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@Lyythine wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

In all seriousness unless you spend 50k+ on your Platinum a year chances are slim to none of getting your AF reduced.  

I wouldnt hold my breath.. I spend many multiples of that with business purchases each year and I have yet to get my annual fee waived.

While I'm sure the fee has been waived for some, I've never experienced or have seen it first hand.  

One of the main reasons I haven't minded paying the fee is for this reason.  I don't like to pay for things or benefits that are offered for free in other channels.  In other words, if I know a store has periodic sales, I won't ever pay full retail price; or, if I know Card X will always waive the fee for those who "request it assertively," I'll do the same, and close the card if not waived; or, I prefer the Ritz, because one can't "cheese" status on the hotel, unlike the other programs.

For example, Cap One waives the fee for anyone who calls them enough.  Why on Earth should I ever pay the fee?  Refuse to waive mine, I'll close the card immediately. 

Message 19 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Lyythine wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

We still allow him in this country?  Canada doesn't want him either.

In all seriousness unless you spend 50k+ on your Platinum a year chances are slim to none of getting your AF reduced.  Might be time to cut ties with the card if it doesn't give you a benefit.  That way you don't have to pay AF.   Best of luck whatever you decide, but AF waiving isn't in the cards.

A friend of mine gets his waived each year, granted he works for a company and has a company platinum that he runs a ton through each month in travel/hotels.  So to each rule is an exception.  He doesn't ask for it to be waived either he just calls and wants to cancel his card and they refund him each year due to the other relationship with them

I was just giving a ballpark and I won't spend that although as stated in my best friends example he spends a ton on his company and gets his personal waived each year.  Guess they have some correlation.  He tries to cancel his personal each year and they wave it.. By tons I mean > 250k a year on business platinum.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.