Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Approval

tag
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

Amex Platinum Approval

I stepped out of the garden to apply for the Amex Platinum card as I am interested in the lounge access benefits. Although I jumped on the app I wasn't convinced I would be approved. Somehow I was approved.

My latest scores according to the Discover score service for EQ is 703, I have over 10 inqs, and a lot of new credit (added a LOT since Nov 2011). These kept Amex from entertaining my offer in Feb. for the green card.

My question is, will Amex mail me their score even though I wasn't denied? I'm wondering if my 703 is off from the Discover service. As I don't see Plat approvals for people in the low 700s on here.

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum Approval

First of all congrats, woohoooo!!!!!  I'm also a Platinum holder and I love the card, you just need to apply for the Priority pass online and then they will send you that also it's free.  Access to more than 600 additional lounges!  This is in addition to the lounges you get acces to with the card already!  Sweet I know!  I have no idea about the score thing I didn't receive one? 

Message 2 of 12
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the Amex approval! Since this is a charge card you likely won't get your score in the mail. Amex generally sends the score if an application is declined or a credit card is approved but not with the best APR. Since you received the best terms for a charge card they aren't require to send your score. Your 703 doesn't seem that low for an Amex charge card approval. I have heard of mid to high 600's for the charge cards.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 3 of 12
sjt
Senior Contributor

@ComputerWizMaster wrote:

I stepped out of the garden to apply for the Amex Platinum card as I am interested in the lounge access benefits. Although I jumped on the app I wasn't convinced I would be approved. Somehow I was approved.

My latest scores according to the Discover score service for EQ is 703, I have over 10 inqs, and a lot of new credit (added a LOT since Nov 2011). These kept Amex from entertaining my offer in Feb. for the green card.

My question is, will Amex mail me their score even though I wasn't denied? I'm wondering if my 703 is off from the Discover service. As I don't see Plat approvals for people in the low 700s on here.

Congrats!

Amex uses an internal scoring system, in addition to FICO scores. There are other factors they consider like employment, income, and assets. There was a person from Credit Boards who was approved with a low-mid 600 score. Im guessing the main factor in approval was his job and income.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ComputerWizMaster wrote:

CONGRATS!!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 12
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

There IS a chance, you may still recieve your score in the mail, even w/ instant approval.

So just don't throw away the paperwork, once the card arrives.

Scan it front/back.

Grats!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 12
thatoneguy28
Valued Member

CONGRATS!

Message 7 of 12
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

I recently got approved for Plat. I also applied for the Delta gold and was approved same day. I did not receive my fico for the Plat charge, but did receive it for the Delta Gold and it said my score was 660 on EX. That was actually higher than I thought (last checked about 3 months ago for EX was about 638 if I recall). I did show a high income and stable job / address, and also had Zync for just under 2 months before applying for the plat. AAoA 3.4yrs and util 10% at time of app, inq were low too.

Message 8 of 12
awall41
Established Member

@cardslayer wrote:

I recently got approved for Plat. I also applied for the Delta gold and was approved same day. I did not receive my fico for the Plat charge, but did receive it for the Delta Gold and it said my score was 660 on EX. That was actually higher than I thought (last checked about 3 months ago for EX was about 638 if I recall). I did show a high income and stable job / address, and also had Zync for just under 2 months before applying for the plat. AAoA 3.4yrs and util 10% at time of app, inq were low too.

Do you mind me asking if you were approved for the Delta Gold and if you have any baddies on your EX report? 

Thanks!

Message 9 of 12
SharonSmyth

Hey There, congrats on being approved!  

I also held my breath while applying for the Platinum.  I too was approved with a score FICO score of 690.  I do think that being willing to pay $450AF has a lot to do with it.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.