Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum CS vs regular Amex CS

tag
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Amex Platinum CS vs regular Amex CS

So, in the past 2 weeks I have gotten to experience Amex CS at its best, and at its worst as well.

Here is the story..

A few weeks ago, I decided to cancel my Delta Gold Amex. I THOUGHT that I was cancelling it 30 days after the AF was due, but, apparently it was 31, which meant that Amex would NOT refund the entire fee (which I had already PIF on the previous statement). After the CSR read the disclosure (which says nothing about AF, or pro rated refunds, etc... ), I asked if the Af that I had paid 6 days earlier would be refunded. The answer was "NO". I then asked her to reopen my account, since I was NOT aware that I was SOL (and I do not mean statute of limitations..LOL) on the AF. She took my financial info, and stated that I would see the card in 5-7 days. I had asked for a supervisor, but was told that there were none available.  Fine, no issue. I had already paid the AF, so I might as well keep the card at this point.  A supposed supervisor calls me from a Las Vegas phone# the next day, and assured me that the account was being reinstated, and that I would see the card in 3-5 days...  A week goes by, no card. Then I get a letter. Reinstatement was denied due to my FICO score. That was the only reason on the letter. The EX08 indicated on the letter was 727 (I had opened the card with around a 670). No mention of AAoA, new accts., or Inq.  Complete total BS of a reason, and that, in itelf will probably be the cause of a CFPB complaint against them.  I called in. Spoke to another CSR that said that they would reopen the card, took my financial info again, etc..etc...  A week later, no card.. Called in this past Sunday evening, and was told that the reinstatement was declined. Fine Whatever, Can you just issue me a pro rated refund on the AF? Well, over the course of the next 45 minutes, I was handed off 4 times to yet another clueless SCR - nobody could seem to answer, or resolve this.   After 59 minutes on the phone, I hung up, thoroughly disgusted with Amex CS, Nobody seemed to be able to help, or as even willing to help me. Or even answer the question. Nobody seeme to be able to refund the measly $81.49 that i had been offered by the CSR that had called me from LV. The offer of the prorated refund was already made to me on a supposedly monitored call a week and a few days earlier from the Las Vegas#. But, yet, there seems to be no record of that conversation at all.

Fast forward to today. I had a brilliant idea. Why don't I call Platinum CS (I have a Plat), and ask THEM if THEY could help.  Apparently they can. The CSR was awesome. Had the entire thing fixed and wrapped up within 10 minutes. No transferring me, or passing the buck to some other CSR. She apologized for keeping me on hold for a few minutes... but kept checking back with me and letting me know that she was working on it. Credit issued, no problem, no issue.  Amazing. 

Moral of the story seems to be.... regular Amex CS can be clueless at times, but the Platinum CS definitely seems to have more of an ability to resolve a fairly simple issue when needed... Smiley Happy  

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum CS vs regular Amex CS

Makes sense to me -- good CSRs are expensive and every time someone calls, it costs money to deal with it.

Back when I was still employed as a consultant, I worked with a mega bank lender that people are familiar with and they had 3 or 4 tiers of customer service.  What's hilarious is that if a person was flagged as an irate caller, they'd automatically get dumped into the bad tier just based on their incoming numbers (and the lender was able to list infinite numbers associated with the irate customer).  When I was hanging out with my client contact, he pulled up my records with that lender/bank and said "you've spent over 110 hours of time since we started tracking it using our phone system, and a quarter of that was with a CSR."  He knew basically down to the second how much time I used a rep, and he said I wasn't in the bad group but I also wasn't in the premium support group because I didn't have enough in the bank's accounts on average, lol.

Today's banks really have to make a call on service quality versus cost -- like any other business.  Most people prefer to get sign up bonuses and more rewards than get better service, but I'm sure there's a balance at some point.

I honestly would be 100% fine with earning an extra 0.25% rewards by agreeing to losing out on phone support and just dealing with secure messages online or something.  Sign me up for more inhumanity or Amazon's Alexa answering my calls, lol.

It's fun to look at CFPB fines for banking violations based on how banks treat certain market segments: google "CPFB Enforcement Actions" and go to their website.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many firms have multi tier csr now not just credit cards. 

As far as fines some firms consider them part of the cost of doing business. DW is on the regulatory board for our industry. Old fines were $1,000 per event.  This did not phase some firms. Now  the new  fines are $1,000 per day  per event.   They just fined one guy who had a "budget" of $20,000 per year for fines. But his fine was $1,000,000.  He is now out of business. Interesting  part is fine goes on him and firm so  he is stuck.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah the CFPB fines they list in their website are whoppers sometimes.

Some of the CAs/JDBs go bankrupt only to show up a year later in the same suburban town under a different name tho.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.