Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum CSRs: Cost Cutting?

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Amex Platinum CSRs: Cost Cutting?

I've called the Platinum CSRs multiple times over the last few days and every time I get a warning about a longer delay and a suggestion to call back in 24h.

Next, with every issuer I'm used to calling the number for the best card I have with them as I get the best service. For example i would call JPM ritz number to handle issues for Freedom etc. when I call the number on the back of my prestige the CSRs handle issues regarding cheaper citi cards like premier.

with Amex i call the platinum like and ask to handle my lower tiers as well as platinum. I've noticed the last few times the CSRs politely insisted to transfer me to the SPG queue rather than answering simple inquiry about the account. This was account dates/etc related and had nothing to do with the rewards program or something similar so I don't buy that they're not trained on other Amex products.

This is new and it's not a nice change to their practice.

Are they cutting costs? Are they limiting the number of American CSRs (who service platinum) and thus pushing non platinum account queries offshore?

Anyway. This is not good. And despite me keeping my accounts open this year I've shifted the bulk of my spend to chase and Citi.
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum CSRs: Cost Cutting?

@PointLager wrote:
I've called the Platinum CSRs multiple times over the last few days and every time I get a warning about a longer delay and a suggestion to call back in 24h.

Next, with every issuer I'm used to calling the number for the best card I have with them as I get the best service. For example i would call JPM ritz number to handle issues for Freedom etc. when I call the number on the back of my prestige the CSRs handle issues regarding cheaper citi cards like premier.

with Amex i call the platinum like and ask to handle my lower tiers as well as platinum. I've noticed the last few times the CSRs politely insisted to transfer me to the SPG queue rather than answering simple inquiry about the account. This was account dates/etc related and had nothing to do with the rewards program or something similar so I don't buy that they're not trained on other Amex products.

Are they cutting costs? Are they limiting the number of American CSRs (who service platinum) and thus pushing non platinum account queries offshore?

Anyway. This is not good. And despite me keeping my accounts open this year I've shifted the bulk of my spend to chase and Citi.

They were just prioritizing based on your inquiry and figured you were just abusing the line and wasting their time with a simple question that you could find the answer to yourself.

Message 2 of 42
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PointLager wrote:

They were just prioritizing based on your inquiry and figured you were just abusing the line and wasting their time with a simple question that you could find the answer to yourself.

Agree with this. Although it may appeal to someone to call the "fancy" number for any old request, the bottom line is that they don't want to be dealing with basic customer service questions about lower tier cards. That's not their job or their department. So of course they will redirect you. It's not about cutting costs; it's about them doing their job and handling their own departments.

I understand wanting good service, but if it's truly just a simple inquiry, the regular customer service numbers will do.

Message 3 of 42
PointLager
Established Contributor

This kind of thinking is what loses clients. It pays to look at the overall relationship. Citi gets it. Chase gets it. Amex doesn't. Amex still insists on dialing your card number when you call from your regular phone.

Chase: live person picks up
Citi Prestige: dual the last four digits

The best employees are ones who make it a personal mission to own the relationship and represent the brand.

I have multiple brands of Amex cards and don't intend to look up every single number. Most of my calls are to plat as this card gets bulk of my Amex spend but when I do call I expect the CSRs to field questions about any of my accounts.

Just because the issue isn't related to plat doesn't mean that I am wasting their time as I view the CSRs being on retainer paid by my Amex fees and the interchange they make off my spend (mostly plat).

Anyway rather than getting into debates about validity of my MO i was more curios to see if this is systemic as it is certainly new and noticed change.
Message 4 of 42
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Part of the reason I pay the AF on the Ritz/Amex Platinum is to talk to a US Based CSR.. Plain and simple.. So I agree with OP on his feelings.  Hopefully Amex isn't changing this policy as I don't enjoy talking with an oversees rep. that there is a communication barrier with ( I don't have the patience or time to do circlular conversations where they just don't get what you are asking for).  Least Amex chat is decent where I do most of my stuff there.  I use the Amex Plat. concierge service some.  It is also nice calling the Ritz CSR or JPM one and the same it dodesn't matter which card I call actually on Chase I get re-routed automatically even if I call the number on back of my freedom card to the JPM line.. That is service and partially worth the fee I pay right there.  Just my 2 cents and shows they value me as a customer or at least my money being Chase.  You are paying a premium for alot of things of this card and CSR's should be able to handle all cards as they have done with me before with Amex.

Message 5 of 42
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm one to think they should look at the overall relationships with their customers, but that is just my opinion. That would keep me coming back vs being turned off by them.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I agree with OP that they should consider overall relationships.   In my company, if you spend $20M a month, your account rep will answer even the most obvious questions for you, those paying $100 a month, well, that's what the website is for!

That said, "overall relationship" may need clarification.   There is nothing particularly "high value" about the Plat card these days.  Yes, it has a high AF, but in the same way many holders explain that it is worth (airline credit, global entry etc) the profit can be small.   So you could imagine Amex using algorithms more like the one above, Plat holders with high spend get treated differently than Plat holders with more normal spend.

CUrrently Chase seems to treat all CSP holders well, which is more surprising as that is a much cheaper card

Message 7 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's very plausible that cuts have been made.  AXP lost some critical programs (Costco as one) and are scrambling on what to do in order to keep those customers from fleeing (and many are), (also not to mention they are carrying a higher debt-to-equity ratio than the industry standard so not in the highest financial health).

I truly believe that unless you are a Paladium, Centurion, or have a private banking relationship we are all going to see the quality in CS take a hit and to become more industry norm and remain that way.

Message 8 of 42
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@PointLager wrote:
This kind of thinking is what loses clients. It pays to look at the overall relationship. Citi gets it. Chase gets it. Amex doesn't. Amex still insists on dialing your card number when you call from your regular phone.

Every armchair industry analyst on every topic makes this sort of claim and while some do take a downturn, some continue to be successful even though those experts have been unhappy with those companies.  If AmEx actually sees a hit they'll respond as they see fit.  All you can do is use whatever products and creditors suit your requirements and preferences.  If you don't care how they're handling things then don't use them.  However, don't assume broad trends based on a single data point.

I don't disagree with your thinking and I've certainly called Platinum CS about other accounts but all you can do is select products that suit you.  Whether or not AmEx sees an impact is their business.  I rarely call CS for any of my accounts with any creditor and while this would be one consideration it's not a dealbreaker for me but obviously YMMV.  If CS is a top priority for you then certainly base your decisions on your priorities.

Message 9 of 42
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I don't find myself needing to call customer service very often regardless of creditor so for me it's not that big of a deal but if OP finds it a priority then they should select their cards accordingly, I agree.
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.