cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum: Can inconvenience and waste be good?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Amex Platinum: Can inconvenience and waste be good?

When people compare CSR and Amex Platinum, they often mention that the $300 travel credit on CSR is easy for many people to use, while fewer people make full use of the airfare extras and Uber credits on Platinum.

I used to think this was a bad thing about Platinum. I wanted the credits to be easy to get. Now I'm not so sure. I kind of like it that the credits are hard to use.

With the limitations, I can get about $350 of value from the $400 maximum. Some people could only get $300, $200...or even less.

If it was easy to get the full $400 (like with a general travel credit), Platinum would be (more widely) considered a $150 net AF card. It might be an even more popular card, and draw applications from people who wouldn't otherwise have one.

But do we need more Platinums around? Concierge delays would be longer, and aren't the Cent lounges already crowded enough? Granted, the regular business travelers (the heaviest users) aren't generally put off by the AF or the structure of the airline and Uber credits. An easier $400 for lighter travelers might not change things radically.

Still, I don't entirely mind the restrictions involved in getting just $350 if it makes the other perks (concierge and Cent lounges) more pleasant to use.

Anyone feel the same way? Are there other cases where some inconvenience doesn't bother you?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Platinum: Can inconvenience and waste be good?

Probably most business travelers feel this way people being have the corporate Amex card.  Obviously they aren't paying the AF though, but traveling alot with their company and enjoy the lounge access if available although 99% of the airports around the world don't have a centurion lounge so really I don't see that as a big selling factor of the card.  People either get the card in my opinion for the perks although those might be nerfed soon as we don't know what Marriott holds (being will you still get gold automatically for having the platinum card?) . I see this as a bigger benefit than lounge access personally as do many probably.  Ideally Amex would have a ton more lounges and obviously hire more CSR's.  I believe Chase between the CSR and or Ritz does a very good job with their CSRs as JP Morgan answers the call within one ring usually and you are talking with someone very knowledgeable and polite and of course English speaking lfrom the US ike the platinum.  Granted the platinum has better concierge than JP Morgan, but they both do basically the same job.  

So I guess my thought is I understand both sides of the picture, but for me it ultimately wasn't worth keeping the card as the travel credit was a PITA to use compared to the CSR and even the Ritz is easier to use.  The uber usage is simple to use on the amex card as it is what approx 18 a month lol, not sure why they even did that to be honest and I believe you got to use it monthly and beyond that out of your pocket vs. if you want to use it all in one or two weeks being the credit you cannot.  Why make it so complex?  I believe the Amex honestly is more of a 350-400 AF card as you are basically paying for benefits, but it is also simply just a charge card unless you want to do extended payment at a wonder 19% apr or whatever it is.  Amex also makes more on swipe fees so they should be able to offer more value than just 1x MR or 5x's (I believe on flights?).  If they revamped their reward structure a bit to say be 3x MR on Food/Bars then I might consider it again, but for now not for rme although as stated people can either justify it or not.  Some people also have it just to say I have the platinum or for the obvious sign-up bonus for 100k if you can get that then dump it after a year.  Just my 2 cents

Long story short big travelers that travel a ton and stay at hotels a ton can make use of it although friends of that are partners at deloitte(just an example) and what not already have platinum for life etc at marriott through staying with them so mcuh, so the card really doesn't offer some of the benefits as people that travel a ton usually has statuses without the card thus losing some of the "perks"

Message 2 of 49
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriosity makes a good point which brings up a question: is the lounge access via the Amex Plat worth it even if you always book business- or first-class tickets? Or does this suggest that those who tout the lounge perks tend to buy economy class tickets?
Message 3 of 49
bz386
Frequent Contributor

A domestic business or first class ticket generally doesn’t get you lounge access, so your point is moot.
Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my CSR credit the same way I use my amex platinum. $300 on airfare for CSR or $200 in GC for the amex, both on the same airline. So to me, it was never a hassle of using the annual credits on the Amex. But to stay on topic with your post, it is kind of nice that the CSR is the fan favorite and probably less people have the amex platinum. I've always been the odd guy/rebel person so its cool to have the plaitnum to whip out when most people i know have the CSR, if it makes the amex lounges less crowded etc thats cool with me i guess lol. good thought.

Uber credit is great for me becuase of UberEats, the months I dont use Uber rides,  I use it for the UberEats at this place I love getting delivery from anyway. I hate driving and going in that specific place so it works out for me. If ithe UberEats ever goes away, that would upset me!

Also my home airport has a centurion lounge so its one of the biggest reasons I've held onto the card. Everyone's situation is different. The card has been overall solid for me, it would be the "perfect card" if they ever added a dining point category. 

Message 5 of 49
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I travel often.  There are no Centurion Lounges in my home city or in my regular destinations.  I never fly Delta, so I never use Delta Sky Clubs.  I can get Priority Pass on less costly credit cards.  I rarely stay in brand name hotels, so hotel elite status wouldn't help me.  I would not get any benefits from the Amex Platinum card.  The 5x miles would be nice, but not at that price. 

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 49
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

If it's worth it to you to pay the bank hundreds of dollars extra just so you can feel part of something elite and exclusive then I guess that's your prerogative. Me I'd rather get something useful for my money.

You can be sure that if a million more people signed up for Plat tomorrow, Amex won't be turning them away.
Message 7 of 49
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@MrDisco99 wrote:
You can be sure that if a million more people signed up for Plat tomorrow, Amex won't be turning them away.

There are some stockholders on this forum that would really appreciate an additional $550M (+ AU fees) in annual revenue on a single product!  Smiley Surprised

The inconvenience factor can go both ways, I think.  Personally, I get enough out of the card even without the Centurion lounge to make it worth the AF + AU AF.  I can understand the frustration that some have experienced with overcrowding, as I've seen the same in Marriott hotel lounges during peak days (exacerbated by the fact that they also allow the general public to book rooms that include concierge level access for an additional fee right online, and often there's some sort of promo on that).  While I changed it on my Platinum, I remembered a valuable lesson this year with forgetting to change my airline on PRG so I likely won't get the $100 airline credit on it this year - forgetting that little detail if your previously chosen airline is not one that can be used for gift card purchases would be of course twice as costly for the Platinum!  

While the card's not exactly the rarity that it once was, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I do value the "status" that having the card brings and if it were even more widely issued I'm not sure how "special" it would be.

Message 8 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is addressing the overcrowding in the Centurion lounges by allowing only the holders (and guests) of the Centurion, Platinum and Business Platinum cards to access the lounges.  In the past PRG holders, etc could purchase day passes to the lounges and this was a significant contributor to the overcrowding.  Hopefully we will see less of it in the future.

Message 9 of 49
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex is addressing the overcrowding in the Centurion lounges by allowing only the holders (and guests) of the Centurion, Platinum and Business Platinum cards to access the lounges.  In the past PRG holders, etc could purchase day passes to the lounges and this was a significant contributor to the overcrowding.  Hopefully we will see less of it in the future.

I do say, where have all of these peasants come from?  I didn't realize day passes were previously available to non-cardholders.  That's a good tidbit to know.  Day passes are still available for additional guests (over the usual allowance), but only if they are being accompanied by an eligible cardmember.

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.