Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Card..

tag
plasticcards
New Contributor

Amex Platinum Card..

So I got my Platinum card in the mail today. Well more like yesterday but I checked my mail today lol Im so excited! I literally just openened it. Should I activate it online or call and activate it? Any difference? How much you guys think I should spend on it on the first month?  they FR me on my Zync card 3 years ago after the first month I put about $1500. I DO NOT want that to happen again lol Also If I am travelling all over the place europe, australia, south america. Do I have to let them know? I don't want them to flag me or something crazy. Last I get 1 point per dollar right? Just like the Blue card? Thanks girls and guys for your help. Smiley Happy  

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
BMW_M-Series
New Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Card..

I wouldnt worry about getting FR with the platinum unless you randomly decide to charge it up pretty high the 1st month like 10k. Since you have been with them for a while they should already know your spending habits. I would always inform them if you are leaving the country. Also, I called to activate my platinum card. He was real nice and enrolled me into Priority Pass and basically told me everything about the card 

Chase Sapphire Preferred - American Express Platinum - American Express PRG -American Express SPG -American Express BCP - BofA Cash Rewards Visa Siggy - Citi TYP - Discover IT - PenFed Gold

In Garden
Message 2 of 15
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I spent around 6k in the first couple weeks on the plat. when I got it two years ago. They did soft me twice the first month I had the card in addition to the hard pull when I apped. I've used it a lot since then without any issues at all. I've added a few AUs, my gf and a biz partner. They only soft me about once every 6 months even when I make really large charges.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 3 of 15
plasticcards
New Contributor

Well I only make about $40k a year. (Still in School) So If I charged 6k I dont think they wil llike that lol I got the Blue card 2 months ago. But the limit is **bleep** $1.5k I was surprised they approved me the platinum card but they did Smiley Happy Since I will be travelling a lot the perks will come in handy. 

Message 4 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

@plasticcards wrote:

So I got my Platinum card in the mail today. Well more like yesterday but I checked my mail today lol Im so excited! I literally just openened it. Should I activate it online or call and activate it? Any difference? How much you guys think I should spend on it on the first month?  they FR me on my Zync card 3 years ago after the first month I put about $1500. I DO NOT want that to happen again lol Also If I am travelling all over the place europe, australia, south america. Do I have to let them know? I don't want them to flag me or something crazy. Last I get 1 point per dollar right? Just like the Blue card? Thanks girls and guys for your help. Smiley Happy  

Do call them to let them know that you are travelling. That way your card will not be frozen for fraud related purposes.

Don't worry too much about FR / AA until it happens.

Just spend what you know you can afford to pay back.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 15
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Why put spending through a Plat?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 6 of 15
plasticcards
New Contributor

What do you mean why put spending on the plat? 

Message 7 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@plasticcards wrote:

What do you mean why put spending on the plat? 

The plat is not a good card for rewards from spending (just 1pt per $), it' good for its perks.  So people get it for lounge access, global entry, airline charges refunds etc, but put their major spending on more rewarding cards, such as the Amex PRG.

Message 8 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Why put spending through a Plat?

Sign-up bonus.

And maybe he wants MR points, but don't have the PRG / Blue.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 15
plasticcards
New Contributor

I don't have the AMEX SPG Smiley Sad I only have the Blue Card. which is 1 point per dollar. Which is the same as for the platinum right? How many points do you get for the SPG? 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.