Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Help

tag
anderl
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Help

Yes. That will definitely work. I applied for Starwood Preferred CC AND Gold Premier Rewards charge(just upgraded to Platinum)  back to back,no instant approval but approved for both 3 days later with only 1 hard pull.

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 21 of 31
TM82
Regular Contributor

The whole 2 apps in the same day = 1 inquiry is not a guarenteed rule.  It's more a YMMV.

I apped for Platinum on the 12/4.  Instant approval.  Apped for Premier Rewards Gold 15 minutes later.  Pending application.

Received pull on 12/6 from Amex thinking it was for both.  Get an email on 12/8 saying that my PRG app was approved as well.  Next morining 12/9 get another email saying another pull from Amex occured on 12/9.  So I ended up getting 2 cards from them, apped same day, but 2 pulls.  So it's certainly is an individual situation.  Maybe I'm in the minority and 99% of the time you only get 1 pull. 

But I would advise to go into it thinking that you'll get 2 pulls and if you only get 1 then be happy about it. 

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 22 of 31
CS800
Super Contributor

@nickcredit wrote:

I need to get educated on Amex.

Me....

Scores: EQ 724 and TU 705

*I have late payment history on 3 accounts back in 2007 (this is what is effecting my scores)

I have zero debt.

I have reasonably high income. (Over $200k a yr)

I use an FIA credit card like a charge card for points. Charging between $3k and $7k a month.

I have a side business, a brand new LLC.

I'd like to get the best Amex card possible. Platinum if possible, Gold would be my second choice based on the perks / points. 

Are my chances best to apply for Platinum personally or should I try for a business platinum? If I apply through the busienss I wonder if I'll get it because the business has no history, just a tax ID. I WANT the card to help my personal credit score and I am not clear if I go the business Amex route that a charge card will help my personal credit.

What are my chances of being approved for an Amex Platinum? Gold? Any Amex?

THANKS!

AMEX pulls EX mostly, they have been known to pull another bureau if needed.

I would say you have a good chance of being approved for he Platinum.

Message 23 of 31
nickcredit
Established Member

Ok, I called Amex customer service and asked tons of questions. As far as 2 card apps 1 inquiry she wasn't sure. I told her where I learned about it and she seemed to think that this forum would know better than her. I also asked if there was anyone in any department I could speak to who could definitively answer this question and she gave me a number to the Credit Review Department. I'm going to call them today as they were closed last night. 

In other news, I starting reading loads of user reviews on all Amex cards. There are literally thousands on each kind of card. One of the BIGGEST complaints about the Delta Reserve card is they are setting extremely low credit limits for everyone. Great credit high income current amex holders. People like me want this card for business, travel, etc. and they can't use it because they get slapped with a CL of $2 or $3k. 

Any suggestions for an Amex CC that doesn't have a history of doing this? What is the average CL these days for people with my standing? (Versus the credit CL reduction days of years past)

BTW, I LOVE this forum. Love it!

Message 24 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@nickcredit wrote:

Ok, I called Amex customer service and asked tons of questions. As far as 2 card apps 1 inquiry she wasn't sure. I told her where I learned about it and she seemed to think that this forum would know better than her. I also asked if there was anyone in any department I could speak to who could definitively answer this question and she gave me a number to the Credit Review Department. I'm going to call them today as they were closed last night. 

In other news, I starting reading loads of user reviews on all Amex cards. There are literally thousands on each kind of card. One of the BIGGEST complaints about the Delta Reserve card is they are setting extremely low credit limits for everyone. Great credit high income current amex holders. People like me want this card for business, travel, etc. and they can't use it because they get slapped with a CL of $2 or $3k. 

Any suggestions for an Amex CC that doesn't have a history of doing this? What is the average CL these days for people with my standing? (Versus the credit CL reduction days of years past)

BTW, I LOVE this forum. Love it!

Well I can't answer for sure that Delta gets smaller credit lines then say blue, however even if you were only given 2-3k, use it for 2 months and at 61 days the approval of a 3x current credit line credit line increase seems to be in the upper 90% gettting it... so that's not that long to wait to bump up to 6+k depending on starting limit.

I have seen a lot of people being approved at their current highest CL and I have seen others get 2k and they have 2 other cards at 15-20k, but a good percentage I have seen end up with the highest credit line they have with amex within 6 months with the 2 credit line increases

Message 25 of 31
nickcredit
Established Member

I am not familiar with these credit line increases. What happens? You call after 61 days and ask to triple your credit line? Then do it again another 61 days later? Is that a soft pull process? 

Message 26 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@nickcredit wrote:

I am not familiar with these credit line increases. What happens? You call after 61 days and ask to triple your credit line? Then do it again another 61 days later? Is that a soft pull process? 

you can do it online or over phone, 61 days and then every 6 months there after. Always Soft.

Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied for a zync and then 6 months later I applied for a Platinum just to see my FICO score and was approved... I agree that one is not easier than the other to get and they like the idea of the higher AF 

so as others have said apply for the Platinum if you want it and they will most likely send it to you based on the info you provided in your original post

Message 28 of 31
CS800
Super Contributor

I'm curious as to the 61 day success rate for CLI

And how many people get the full 3X ?

Message 29 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have seen about 3 denials for the 61 day CLI

The only reason I have seen people not get the 3x CLI is if they already had a credit line that if multiplied by 3 would put them over 25k or if they didn't have the cuts to ask for the 3x increase.

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.