cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Premier Rewards, is there a niche?

tag
IowaGuy
Contributor

Amex Platinum Premier Rewards, is there a niche?

Anyone else wish this card existed? I do travel but just cannot justify a platinum card when compared to gold premier rewards. Annual fee of like 500 or so...
700 Club
Amex Gold PR, Main card, Role: rewards
Chase Amazon Visa, Role: Amex backup
Pen Fed Promise, Role: low APR, balances
Amazon Store Card, Role: 0% financing
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Premier Rewards, is there a niche?

I'm sorry what was your question?

I'm in CA, Amex is in EVERYONES wallet... I'm not impressed unless you throw down a Black Card. If you don't do an extensive amount of travel over seas I think you are paying the $450 annual fee just for the status, which is fine but lets just call it what it is!

Message 2 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I think OP is saying they wish there were a Platinum card that earned points like the PR Gold.  I do too.  I have thought about getting Platinum for myself and instead of getting a second card for my wife, which would be $175, just having her carry the PR Gold, get me a second PR Gold card on her account, and have us use the PR Gold for all of our spend.  That would work for us because she rarely travels without me and wouldn't really need her own Platinum card.  But if you both want to carry a Platinum, that doesn't work.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

I think OP is saying they wish there were a Platinum card that earned points like the PR Gold.  I do too.  I have thought about getting Platinum for myself and instead of getting a second card for my wife, which would be $175, just having her carry the PR Gold, get me a second PR Gold card on her account, and have us use the PR Gold for all of our spend.  That would work for us because she rarely travels without me and wouldn't really need her own Platinum card.  But if you both want to carry a Platinum, that doesn't work.

I don't think they do but When you have Gold or Platinum Business Charge cards when I add on users I can opt for Gold or Green Cards for them and set limits... does personal Platinum offer that?

Message 4 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

I don't think they do but When you have Gold or Platinum Business Charge cards when I add on users I can opt for Gold or Green Cards for them and set limits... does personal Platinum offer that?

I think personal Platinum does offer that, although I don't have the card and couldn't be sure.  But it doesn't solve the problem because regular Gold still only earns 1 point per dollar.  If you want to get the 3x airfare and 2x gas/groceries, you just have to carry both cards, Plat and PR Gold.  But you can carry both for the same price as adding an AU on your Plat, which was what I was suggesting.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 5 of 13
IowaGuy
Contributor

Right, I was indeed talking about the lower reward gain rate on the plat. I would want to use a plat card for things like airfare (airline fee credits) but Gold PR easily gives more points 3 per dollar vs 1 per dollar.

Good point about the auth user thing, but one could get the same results by having the gold pr and plat, no need for wife to have one. and thats still 675 dollars a year. Also, it doesnt help with the whole 200 dollar airline fees issue.

If they had a plat with the gold pr rewards structure, I'd be all over it.

700 Club
Amex Gold PR, Main card, Role: rewards
Chase Amazon Visa, Role: Amex backup
Pen Fed Promise, Role: low APR, balances
Amazon Store Card, Role: 0% financing
Message 6 of 13
anderl
Frequent Contributor

+1

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 7 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@IowaGuy wrote:

Right, I was indeed talking about the lower reward gain rate on the plat. I would want to use a plat card for things like airfare (airline fee credits) but Gold PR easily gives more points 3 per dollar vs 1 per dollar.

Good point about the auth user thing, but one could get the same results by having the gold pr and plat, no need for wife to have one. and thats still 675 dollars a year. Also, it doesnt help with the whole 200 dollar airline fees issue.

If they had a plat with the gold pr rewards structure, I'd be all over it.

Right.  My point was that a couple that would be getting two cards could pay the same amount in annual fees by carrying PR Gold an Plat as opposed to two Platinum cards.  And if they do most of their travel together, or at least if one spouse raretly travels without the other even if the other does travel alone, the couple can get most of the benefits of the Platinum card as well as the higher point earning potential of the PR Gold card. 

Not sure what you mean by the $200 airline fee credit.  I think that credit only applies to the primary account holder so adding an authorized user to Plat doesn't give you another $200 credit in airline incidentals.  Could be wrong on that though.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer your question, yes, I'd love it if this card existed.  I would happily pay for it.  However, I don't think it'll happen.  AmEx, much more so than any other card issuer, is heavily invested in its prestigious image.  They know that people covet their cards and they want it that way.  AmEx has the Blue Preferred Cashback, etc. to reach out to the general market, but the Platinum and Centurion cards are geared toward the super wealthy.  If we all had the Platinum Card, two things would happen:

1. The status of Platinum would take a hit.  Dilution of prestige is what prompted AmEx to introduce the Gold Card, then the Platinum Card, then eventually Centurion-- each rolled out more than a decade after the previous.  However, the problem is that if AmEx keeps introducing a more exclusive product because the exclusivity of their top shelf card has been too compromised, they'll end up with a portfolio of 10 charge cards, which becomes too big to manage the image of and too hard to communicate the standing of each of these products to the general public.  (I believe this was their impetus behind making Centurion invitation-only again, charging substantially higher initiation/annual fees, etc.)

2. AmEx would go broke.   Okay, not really broke, but AmEx doesn't encourage the use of the fringe benefits of Platinum that cost them a lot of money.  When you first receive the Platinum card, there's a good reason (several, actually) that AmEx doesn't automatically set up your complementary memberships in Hertz Gold, Starwood Gold, Premium Lounge Access, etc.  They're hoping you won't sign up and they won't have to pay the fee to the program.  (In some cases, AmEx has even made verification of Platinum Card status difficult, thus prompting cardmembers to have to submit copies of recent Card statements to their reward program affiliates, all to make the sign up process just difficult enough to deter some.)

AmEx doesn't introduce a value version of Platinum because it doesn't have to. The majority of people who will pay $450 a year for a card when free cards are practically shoved into their prime little hands, don't care that they don't get triple points on airfare.

And for the value-minded, semi-affluent consumer (who are a formidable market), they created PR Gold.  This way, they collect a premium annual fee (which, by the way, you'd have to spend $5,833.33 a year on airfare to break even on), they provide the illusion of value to people ($30,000 a year in spending to get 15K bonus MR points is a great deal, of course, but $30k/year in spending on a card is beyond the reach of many and besides, they'd have easily recouped the bonus MR points in merchant fees) and they create a situation in which you put everything on that card to get the scattered bonus points in various categories and hit $30K a year in spending.  Of all their cards, I think it's conceptually the best revenue generator-- it ties you in all over the place.

So worst case scenario, they've neglected consumers like you and me who wish they could justify the fee to upgrade, but are a little too value-minded to do so.  (I promise you, if there were a TON of us, AmEx might reconsider, but right now, I doubt we're a sizable demographic.)  But even we will either eventually upgrade to Platinum and forsake the bonus point offers (net win for AmEx) or get a PRG AND Platinum, maybe with a spouse with additional cards, (net win for AmEx) or keep our charging on a card that doesn't cost them much to offer and is very profitable for them (net wins for AmEx).

(On a semi-related note, it's not an accident that AmEx credit cards do not resemble in any way, shape or form, its charge cards.  They're meant to be two distinct categories and appeal to two distinct types of consumers.  Zync is designed as an entry-level card for college students (or people their age) to get them on the AmEx upgrade path.)

Personally, I can make money off of PRG by recouping the annual fee in MR points and from a strict fiscal standpoint, it would make zero sense for me to upgrade to Platinum.  From the shallow, image-obsessed perspective, however, I'd probably sell out my value-minded self for an invite to upgrade with 25K bonus MR points.  Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 13
drkaje
Senior Contributor

What would Amex do if everyone went all retro and decided Green was the cool card to have? Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.