Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Question

tag
mjnierva23
New Contributor

Amex Platinum Question

So i have had my Amex gold for about 8 or 9 months after i realized i will be traveling 2 or 3 times before the year ends I decided to go and apply for the platinum. My question is will i lose any unused membership rewards points once i cancel my gold card?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Platinum Question

Your card is enrolled in the Membership Rewards program. You may link more than one eligible card into the program, so when you link your Platinum in and cancel the Gold, all of the points should remain as you'll still have an eligible card enrolled. Notice the provision below mentions linked accounts -- plural:

"Enrolled CMs will accrue one point in their program account for every eligible dollar charged and billed on their Linked Accounts, provided such charges are paid on time, except as indicated in the next sentence. Sign & Travel® Account, Extended Payment Option, Business Payment Option and Eligible AMEX Credit Card charges will accrue when billed, as long as the minimum payment is kept current."

http://www.americanexpress.com/lacidc/en/mr/tc.shtml#POINTACCRUAL

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 6
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

You can also "upgrade" your gold to platinum and keep your existing card number (unless you are going for the point sign up bonus). Sometimes they will give a bonus for "upgrading" ask first before you apply for the Platinum. Good Luck either way!

Message 3 of 6
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

I was told I couldn't upgrade within the first 12 months. My only option was a new app for the plat then cancel the green card I have had since may.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:
I was told I couldn't upgrade within the first 12 months. My only option was a new app for the plat then cancel the green card I have had since may.

I did not know there was a certain amount of time involved to do that, good to know Thanks!!

Message 5 of 6
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:

I did not know there was a certain amount of time involved to do that, good to know Thanks!!

Yup!

Exactly why I'm closing my Amex Delta Gold next month, and my Amex PRG in Jan.

I want to get the 50k miles delta card, when that offer comes around again.  I also want to get the Plat w/ 100k MR points offer early next year when it comes back out.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.