cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum bonus offer if current (credit) card member?

tag
hyprble
Regular Contributor

Amex Platinum bonus offer if current (credit) card member?

Hi,

I've been wanting to apply for an Amex Platinum (due to traveling perks), but I'm waiting for a targeted offer (maybe 100k?!).  I noticed the following terms in some of the 40k offers "If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had a Platinum Card® account enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program."

I currently have an Amex branded JetBlue credit (not charge) card with 0 balance.  Does that make me ineligible for any Amex Platinum bonus offers?  I have never had an Amex charge account of any kind.  I understand that Amex changed the rules so that people who have previously had a Platinum ever are not eligible but the wording "if we identify you as currently having an Amex card account you may not be eligible" worries me.

Also, for those who have received the high targeted mailings (like the 100k offers) - did you previously have an Amex account or are they only targeting folks who never used Amex?

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum bonus offer if current (credit) card member?

100k offers are sent to people who fit certain criteria, as Amex wants to target that market segment. I get 100k offers a few times a year, although I've never had an Amex before (I was an AU a long time ago though). I'm not sure as to whether or not having a JB card will invalidate you from such offers, but given that you're already a customer they'll have additional information on your usage patterns, income, spending habits, profitability, etc. With that additional information, they may or may not deem you worthy of 100k offers.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I thought I read one bonus lifetime each. One on a charge card and one on revolving credit card.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 5
jd352
Regular Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

I thought I read one bonus lifetime each. One on a charge card and one on revolving credit card.

I was able should be able to receive 2 revolving bonuses. I received one from my BCE years ago when I opened it, and I was told I would receive 15,000 MR points when I met spend threshold for opening the EDP. I guess we will see.

The biggest issue with this all is that CSR's themselves don't even know. This kind of goes towards my thread I started about Amex doing too much and becoming less customer focused. Basically, not having their ducks in order like in the past. I have read on forums where people are told they are eligbile, met spend threshold, and then denied MR point bonus due to already being a charge card member. For instance, I was told there was no MR bonus offer to upgrade my PRG to Platinum. But I was also told via online chat, if I applied for the Platinum instead of upgrading I could still get the 40k bonus. I called to inquire about this further and was told I would not be eligible due to already being a charge card member. I decided I didn't want both cards so I just did the upgrade for the benefits and applied for the EDP to hopefully get the 15k MR points and still be able to get points multiplied as I did with my PRG.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

jd352 - hear what your saying! Note I have found more and more that CRs really have a narrow responsibility area and are not able to do a lot. Seems today they filter the info and then find someone who can answer the question. Is there another place in AX that could give you the required info?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.