Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum card???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum card???

Lately, Amex been sending pre approval letters for the amex platinum charge charge. Is this card really worth it. $450 AF.  My background of usage if I get it... I travel 3 times a year international flights, the onyl hotel i go to is hilton/ garden inn and embassy suites about 4 times a year. Pay my utility bill, cell phone, gas, and shopping roughly $2000 a month total. So.... is it worth it. Any special accomodation with my background info. What kind of perks do you use it for with people who has this card. kind to share? Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum card???

I would just get a Gold Rewards card. does not sound like you do enough traveling to make the free upgrades etc. worth the 450.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the other advantages of course is the access to airport lounges. If this is something you would use, figure out if the card represents a savings:
number of trips per year x 2(arrival and departure lounge access) x number of guests x $50

Figure out how much that offsets the $450

Also, don't forget the buy 1 get 1 free biz class for international travel
Message 3 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have this card. I hardly use it to buy a cup of coffe once in a while.
Message 4 of 7
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Lately, Amex been sending pre approval letters for the amex platinum charge charge. Is this card really worth it. $450 AF. My background of usage if I get it... I travel 3 times a year international flights, the onyl hotel i go to is hilton/ garden inn and embassy suites about 4 times a year. Pay my utility bill, cell phone, gas, and shopping roughly $2000 a month total. So.... is it worth it. Any special accomodation with my background info. What kind of perks do you use it for with people who has this card. kind to share? Thanks.

Like you, I have not thus far sprung for the AMEX Platinum card because I don't fly frequently enough to justify the expense; if I flew somewhere on business twice a month then I might choose differently. I rarely even use most of the services that come with AMEX Gold, the main reason I keep that account active is that it's my oldest account (since 1982) and length of credit history is an important aspect of FICO scores. I *have* sometimes found AMEX very helpful when outside the USA, I must say.

Some spy novel, I forget which one, the main character is told to meet somebody outside the local AMEX office and he thinks, "for a change they actually pick a spot where two Americans won't be conspicuous!"
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 5 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with creditaddict. Go for the Gold first. In order for a Plat to work for you, you need to charge a lot, travel  a lot, shop a lot and etc.

I have an Amex Plat and charge the heck out of it. I now average about 10K a month in charges with the bulk of it being travel related. For me the perks are well worth the $450 AF:

- I have enough points to fly for free

- free first-class ticket for a companion when I have a FC seat purchased

- automatic room upgrades in hotels

- a kick a$$ concierge service 

I could go on and on...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.