cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum gives automatic Ritz-Carlton Gold Status?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum gives automatic Ritz-Carlton Gold Status?

I just wanted to confirm this, with the Marriot-Starwood merger, and their ability to instantly match your status by linking accounts. Does that mean since Amex gives you automatic Gold Status with SPG which in turn can be instantly matched with Marriot, that you are able to status match with Ritz Carlton too? Since all 3 work together. I even went on the Ritz Carlton site and their page allows you to link accounts to the marriot and SPG for " elite status match".

That's pretty cool, I know a lot of people talk about getting gold status match with SPG and Marriot, but to be able to have automatic Gold status at Ritz Carlton with the amex platinum (indirectly by connecting accounts) is something I havent heard people mention, that'll be awesome to get complimentary room upgrades at the ritz and other small benefits. 

Just wanted to make sure if this is correct? lol

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum gives automatic Ritz-Carlton Gold Status?

You are correct.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You are correct.

Thanks Pook89, good to hear from you again!

Do you know if you will still be awarded points or get your elite status honored if you book through Amex Travel which counts as a third party site? Been hearing conflicting mixed answers whether or not your loyatly number can be added to the reservation when booking throuhg Amex Travel and also getting the 5x Points for hotels. 

Message 3 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It was at least once true. My Amex Platinum -> SPG Gold -> Marriott Gold match went through smoothly in 2016.

I thought I read somewhere that Marriott was discontinuing the status match in at least some cases, though...will update my post if I recall the source.

*Update: My concern was based on what a Marriott CS supervisor told an FTer. Marriott later said the supervisor was mistaken and the status matches are still happening.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can be added, but the hotels will not give you their elite status or points if you book through Amex Travel since that is a third-party discount rate. You are effectively choosing 5x MR over those benefits. Booking a Fine Hotels & Resorts hotel through Platinum Travel Service is the excepion, since that's all handled in-house, but you do not get 5x points through PTS.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It can be added, but the hotels will not give you their elite status or points if you book through Amex Travel since that is a third-party discount rate. You are effectively choosing 5x MR over those benefits. Booking a Fine Hotels & Resorts hotel through Platinum Travel Service is the excepion, since that's all handled in-house, but you do not get 5x points through PTS.

Okay so it's essentially one or the other. 5X points if booked with amex travel hotels  but no gold status or the Gold Status Benefits booked directly with the hotel but no 5x pts. Got ya, thanks. 

Message 6 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

It was at least once true. My Amex Platinum -> SPG Gold -> Marriott Gold match went through smoothly in 2016.

I thought I read somewhere that Marriott was discontinuing the status match in at least some cases, though...will update my post if I recall the source.

*Update: My concern was based on what a Marriott CS supervisor told an FTer. Marriott later said the supervisor was mistaken and the status matches are still happening.

Saw your post earlier but didn't have a chance to reply and see that you have since updated that.  I was going to say that the recent articles and interviews I've read stated that the status matching would continue and no real changes to the programs were planned until they eventually merge into one rewards program around 2019.  Losing matched Marriott Gold Elite status would seriously disrupt my current rewards strategies!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.