Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum -> PRG after 3 days...

tag
gibeon
Established Contributor

Amex Platinum -> PRG after 3 days...

Well, that will teach me not to apply for something just because I got an offer in the mail.

I chatted up Amex to see if I could PC my platinum to PRG yesterday. The agent said yes it was possible, but recommended that I should try to hit the spend bonus.

I did the math, and meeting the spend bonus without being an idiot about it was going to be tight as it was, so I don't feel at all bad about losing that. Chatted again today and made the switch. 3 days after receiving the card...

I did not realize that the airline credits were restricted to one airline per year. I tend to fly whoever has the best schedule/price, so the reward value was cut considerably due to that little item I didn't notice when applying.

I'm curious because I already applied for global entry, and they just credited me this afternoon. Havent seen any annual fees yet, so I don't know if I'll get the full $450 fee, then a prorated refund, then a prorated fee for the PRG, or what will happen... we'll see.

If I could have used the airline credits for any airline then I would have kept the Platinum (for the lounge access as well), but I'll be happier with the PRG I think.
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum -> PRG after 3 days...

If the PRG makes you happier, then that is what is important. Whatever works the best for you personally.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 3
wachme
Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum -> PRG after 3 days...

Seeing as how both the Platinum and PRG are travel-focused cards, offering MR points and travel related perks, I just don't see the logic in forfeiting bonuses on both of the top tier Amex cards. We're talking 90k - 150k total MR points you've left on the table depending on the offer. That amount could take you anywhere in the world in first class.

I am not responding merely to be critical, but I think research is necessary when applying for cards with minimum spend bonuses and once per lifetime abilities to earn these bonuses.

And yes, with both the plat and prg, you would need to specify the airline once per calendar year.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.