Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum let-down

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum let-down

Nice little update for those that have been following this: I recently asked for a reimbursement with a representative over chat, and he initiated a dispute (before someone catches me over the use of "he", let me say that the representative had a man's name). Anyway, so today I found my reimbursement had gone through! Good to know they care :') 

Message 21 of 30
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Nice!

Message 22 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Nice little update for those that have been following this: I recently asked for a reimbursement with a representative over chat, and he initiated a dispute (before someone catches me over the use of "he", let me say that the representative had a man's name). Anyway, so today I found my reimbursement had gone through! Good to know they care :') 

You disputed the hotel charge? The flight? For what reason, exactly?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 23 of 30
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Nice to see them make an effort to make things right with you.  Makes the rest of us feel better about using their products.

Message 24 of 30
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Yeah, not sure on the wording used.  Was this a disputed charge also known as a chargeback ("I did not make this charge," "The merchant charged me twice for the same transaction," etc.) or some sort of customer service credit?  If it was a disputed charge, this could go south quickly as it was a purchase you agreed to.

Message 25 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Yeah, not sure on the wording used.  Was this a disputed charge also known as a chargeback ("I did not make this charge," "The merchant charged me twice for the same transaction," etc.) or some sort of customer service credit?  If it was a disputed charge, this could go south quickly as it was a purchase you agreed to.

OP uses the term "reimbursement" in the Original Post to apparently refer to OP's out-of-pocket hotel expense during a layover on the rebooked flight. I assume the dispute is over the hotel expense.

I would have expected that AA would offer to pay directly for a hotel if the itinerary required one, and AA would just give a reservation confirmation for the hotel to OP.

But if OP paid out-of-pocket for the hotel, and AA didn't offer to pay for the hotel, then I don't see grounds for disputing the hotel charge. The hotel wasn't involved in booking the flight. The hotel did nothing wrong, so I don't see why they should be hit with a chargeback.

Maybe I have the facts wrong here, but this doesn't sound like Amex "making things right". This sounds like abuse of the chargeback policy.

*The better thing to do would be to ask AA to reimburse OP for the hotel, perhaps, or ask Amex for some sort of loyalty credit for unsatisfactory concierge service or something. I don't know the odds of success with those, but I don't think disputing valid charges is the way to go.

Message 26 of 30
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

OP uses the term "reimbursement" in the Original Post to apparently refer to OP's out-of-pocket hotel expense during a layover on the rebooked flight. I assume the dispute is over the hotel expense.

I would have expected that AA would offer to pay directly for a hotel if the itinerary required one, and AA would just give a reservation confirmation for the hotel to OP.

But if OP paid out-of-pocket for the hotel, and AA didn't offer to pay for the hotel, then I don't see grounds for disputing the hotel charge. The hotel wasn't involved in booking the flight. The hotel did nothing wrong, so I don't see why they should be hit with a chargeback.

Maybe I have the facts wrong here, but this doesn't sound like Amex "making things right". This sounds like abuse of the chargeback policy.

Sorry for the ambiguity, didn't want to start a war lol. American Airlines refused to reimburse me for the hotel because they don't consider it their responsbility when it's "Mother Nature's fault" (exact wording spoken to me by an agent). I just told the chat agent what happened and asked if I could get a statement credit for that hotel expenditure, and they granted it. So nobody was being abused, just Amex crediting my card for that purchase.

Message 27 of 30
iced
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Most airlines clearly state in their CoC that significant delays caused by ATC/weather are not subject to additional compensation (hotel, meals) beyond getting you to your destination at some reasonable point in the future. Some will be nice on occasion, and some will provide hotels/meals for delayed international premium cabin ticket holders, but if the OP booked domestic and/or economy, I would wager the chances AA would pay for the hotel are somewhere just barely north of 0%.

I agree that if this ends up being a disputed charge with the hotel, trouble may be brewing as the hotel did no wrong.

Message 28 of 30
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Thanks for clearing that up, and that is great customer service.  Hope your opinion of Amex customer service has greatly approved.  You can tell some of us are merchants familiar with chargebacks.  My apologies for filling in the blanks incorrectly!

Message 29 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Oh, okay...asking for a loyalty/goodwill credit is fine. Glad it worked!

@iced wrote:
Most airlines clearly state in their CoC that significant delays caused by ATC/weather are not subject to additional compensation (hotel, meals) beyond getting you to your destination at some reasonable point in the future. Some will be nice on occasion, and some will provide hotels/meals for delayed international premium cabin ticket holders, but if the OP booked domestic and/or economy, I would wager the chances AA would pay for the hotel are somewhere just barely north of 0%.

I agree that if this ends up being a disputed charge with the hotel, trouble may be brewing as the hotel did no wrong.

Hmm...come to think of it, most of the time airlines have offered me that stuff, weather was not the only problem.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.