Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum offer questions.

tag
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum offer questions.

@09Lexie wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Like Mongstradamus, i'm also wondering.....Doesnt the AF for the platinum post right away?

All AFs for Amex CCs post on the first statement 

Thats what i was thinkinh yoo Lexie, but OP says he or she will cancel before AF hits.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 11 of 19
Open123
Super Contributor

60K isn't a bad offer, but a few months there were 100K offers.  

You can try to call them and see if the offer is available to you.  With the right transfer, 100K MR points will likely get you a nice business class flight.

Message 12 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Like Mongstradamus, i'm also wondering.....Doesnt the AF for the platinum post right away?

All AFs for Amex CCs post on the first statement 

Thats what i was thinkinh yoo Lexie, but OP says he or she will cancel before AF hits.

Unless OP is referring to the Ameriprise offer, it will be charged the first monthly statement. 

Message 13 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

I wasn't thinking on getting any cards anytime soon but I just got an email for the Amex Platinum with a 60K MR points offer.

Do not just respond to offers.  Select cards that you need/want.

@lexrjSD wrote:

I was thinking on using it and closing before the AF hits

As Lexie indicates you can't do that given that the AF hits the first statement.  If the benefits aren't worth it to you for the AF then the Platinum is not for you.  Again, see my comment above.

@lexrjSD wrote:

I'm not sure what 60k points gets me or if it's even a great offer. I have an international trip coming up but I already paid the airfare, not sure how I could use these points. How far will 60k points take me on a future trip? Can I still use the $200 airfare credit for anything else?

Sounds like you need to start on the AmEx site.  There are also threads that cover what the airline credit can be used for.  I don't recall off the top of my head.  As for the MR points you need to be able to transfer and make use of them ot maximize value so look at the transfer partners and see if they are companies that you could use.  Then look at the redemption rates for the partners to see what you can redeem for.  I haven't really looked into MR much since it doesn't transfer to any company that I'd use as I live in a United hub city and nearly all my travel is on United.

For any points/miles card one just has to do the research and crunch the numbers to determine if the card is a good fit.

Message 14 of 19
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

I wasn't thinking on getting any cards anytime soon but I just got an email for the Amex Platinum with a 60K MR points offer.

Do not just respond to offers.  Select cards that you need/want.

@lexrjSD wrote:

I was thinking on using it and closing before the AF hits

As Lexie indicates you can't do that given that the AF hits the first statement.  If the benefits aren't worth it to you for the AF then the Platinum is not for you.  Again, see my comment above.

@lexrjSD wrote:

I'm not sure what 60k points gets me or if it's even a great offer. I have an international trip coming up but I already paid the airfare, not sure how I could use these points. How far will 60k points take me on a future trip? Can I still use the $200 airfare credit for anything else?

Sounds like you need to start on the AmEx site.  There are also threads that cover what the airline credit can be used for.  I don't recall off the top of my head.  As for the MR points you need to be able to transfer and make use of them ot maximize value so look at the transfer partners and see if they are companies that you could use.  Then look at the redemption rates for the partners to see what you can redeem for.  I haven't really looked into MR much since it doesn't transfer to any company that I'd use as I live in a United hub city and nearly all my travel is on United.

For any points/miles card one just has to do the research and crunch the numbers to determine if the card is a good fit.

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to wait for the 100k offer since the AF hits right away and those MR points aren't looking very valuable for me at this time.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 15 of 19
vygotsky
Contributor

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to wait for the 100k offer since the AF hits right away and those MR points aren't looking very valuable for me at this time.

Since the AF is weived for the 1st year for cards like the PRG, SPG and Green can you get these and cancel before the AF hits? I know the OP was looking for the 60k bonus with the Plat so this might be an alternative.

FICO 733 (Discover)
Message 16 of 19
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

The AF is not waived.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 17 of 19
vygotsky
Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:
The AF is not waived.

so what does "The American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card will have a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year of Card Membership. After the first year, the annual fee for the Basic Card will be $175." mean

FICO 733 (Discover)
Message 18 of 19
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@vygotsky wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:
The AF is not waived.

so what does "The American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card will have a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year of Card Membership. After the first year, the annual fee for the Basic Card will be $175." mean

To get feet wet in the amex mr world i would just open an ED card no annual fee so you won't have to worry about closing card next year or whatever. Before doing any applying tho , you must do some research on Membership reward points and how to use them most effeciently. The way i would use them and you may use them would be totally different. A safe way to use points that most people can do is us BA avios to fly short domestic flights on AA. I am looking at maybe an trip to bermuda in the spring, 15k RT on econ to bermuda from JFK isn't too shabby. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.