Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum or Citi Prestige ??????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum or Citi Prestige ??????

Both have the same annual fees. (unless you have Citi Gold).

The Citi Prestige offers a $250 annual airline fee credit, and you can use it for any kind of airline purchase including plane tickets  automatically applies the $250 annual airline fee credits to your airline charges you make on your card,

The Platinum Card offers a $200 annual credit but has more restrictions ? Can only use it for airline fees like baggage fees, change fees, lounge fees, and in flight meals. You can’t use the credit to offset the purchase of tickets like you can with CIti. 

Also flying internationally which lacks Centurion Lounges and are mainly only int he U.S. due to American Express losing American Airlines/US airway lounges (Admirals Clubs.) ? 

Priority Pass lounges includes free access for up to two guests using your Citi card but American Express does not.  

Message 1 of 90
89 REPLIES 89
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum or Citi Prestige ??????

+1    interested in this also

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 2 of 90
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

Ever stay more than 3 nights at a hotel? 4th night free as much as you want with prestige. Can't beat that in my opinion.

TU - 850 (BOA TU08 FICO/Barclay TU08), 831 (CK FAKO)
EQ - 870 (CITI FICO), 848 (ATFCU FICO), 831 (CK FAKO)
EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 3 of 90
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

@ficobgtx wrote:

Ever stay more than 3 nights at a hotel? 4th night free as much as you want with prestige. Can't beat that in my opinion.

I'm very interested in this benefit. However, what if the hotel can't be booked through the Citi concierge? I've read mixed reviews that as long as it's a hotel and can be booked by a travel agent, it should be eligible? 

Any insight? Thanks.

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 4 of 90
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Jansroom726 wrote:

@ficobgtx wrote:

I'm very interested in this benefit. However, what if the hotel can't be booked through the Citi concierge? I've read mixed reviews that as long as it's a hotel and can be booked by a travel agent, it should be eligible? 

Any insight? Thanks.

I am guessing this 4th night free is overrated. I've seen many similar promotions through basic hotels and loyalty programs, so it's likely just a case of shopping carefully. The Prestige is explicit about it, so that's an advantage, but if you are staying 4 nights in any one hotel, the chances are you qualify for some sort of similar discount.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 90
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Both have the same annual fees. (unless you have Citi Gold).

The Citi Prestige offers a $250 annual airline fee credit, and you can use it for any kind of airline purchase including plane tickets  automatically applies the $250 annual airline fee credits to your airline charges you make on your card,

The Platinum Card offers a $200 annual credit but has more restrictions ? Can only use it for airline fees like baggage fees, change fees, lounge fees, and in flight meals. You can’t use the credit to offset the purchase of tickets like you can with CIti. 

Also flying internationally which lacks Centurion Lounges and are mainly only int he U.S. due to American Express losing American Airlines/US airway lounges (Admirals Clubs.) ? 

Priority Pass lounges includes free access for up to two guests using your Citi card but American Express does not.  

The two cards are, for all intents and purposes, equivalent. How much airline travel and long term hotel stays do you do already?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 90
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-Prestige-My-Experience-some-good-some-not-so-good/...

My experiences posted here. Can be a bit painful, but so far worth it. Will get the same rates that are on the hotel website that are typically "guaranteed" to be the lowest. So great deal in my opinion. 

TU - 850 (BOA TU08 FICO/Barclay TU08), 831 (CK FAKO)
EQ - 870 (CITI FICO), 848 (ATFCU FICO), 831 (CK FAKO)
EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 7 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jansroom726 wrote:

@ficobgtx wrote:

Any insight? Thanks.

• AMEX Platinum: 1 Membership Reward per dollar on all purchases
  • Citi Prestige® Card
    • Earn 3x points on Air Travel and Hotels
    • Earn 2x points on Dining at Restaurants and Entertainment
    • 1 ThankYou® Point per $1 spent on other purchases

The AMEX Platinum offers free SPG Gold elite status while you hold a Platinum card. The Citi Prestige® Card offers the 4th night free on hotel stays ooked through its travel provider Carlson Wagonlit

Message 8 of 90
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

I have both, although I haven't had the Plat very long. But I definitely love my Prestige over my Plat. The 4th night credit is wonderful. I've used it many times without any issues. 

Message 9 of 90
red259
Super Contributor

Its not a contest in my mind. The only way I see the plat coming out ahead is if there is A. a great signup, B. You fly Delta and can use the skylounges or C. An airport you frequent has a centurion lounge that you would use. Beyond that the prestige card just seems to totally own the amex plat and with the few exceptions listed above I don't think its much of a contest. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.