cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum or Citi Prestige ??????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum or Citi Prestige ??????

I know this is an old thread but I'm 9ffering my two cents.

I have loved every minute of the Amex Platinum card in the short time I have it. I can say I look at this as a $250 (minus air crefit) perk card rather than one for earning MR points.

So far I have used it in the following ways.

1. Refunded $200 for Southwest cards.
2. Used it for global entry credit of $100.
3. Used the late check out as a Hilton gold member.
4. Used the concierge to take care of an early arrival in Spain.
5. The amazing Centurion Lounge in IAH which is my home airport.

Since I'm in a Centurion Lounge airport I see it being more beneficial. I would consider this a point earning card rather a perk card. If I'm staying get 4 nights anywhere I'm positive it's in a package so that wasn't that great to me.
Message 71 of 90
red259
Super Contributor

Since this thread is back i will add my thoughts or update them if I posted before. I have botht he amex plat and citi prestige. Without hesitation I would say the prestige is the better card on soo many levels. Better earning with category spend, better PP membership compared to amex plat, I used it for access to admirals club when flying AA, easier to use the airline credit with prestige card, prestige is a MC so for international travel it is more accepted and it has a better exchange rate than amex. I got the plat card for the high signup. It has done very little for me since then. The only value I see in the amex plat over the prestige is if you frequent an airport that has a centurion lounge. In that case it could be worth it and it gives you SPG gold status but honestly I haven't stayed at any SPG properties since I got it so I don't know how much of a better experience I would get with gold status. Also it gives hilton gold but I have that already. I'm dumping the amex plat on renewal but I am going to hold on to the prestige. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 72 of 90
wachme
Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Since this thread is back i will add my thoughts or update them if I posted before. I have botht he amex plat and citi prestige. Without hesitation I would say the prestige is the better card on soo many levels. Better earning with category spend, better PP membership compared to amex plat, I used it for access to admirals club when flying AA, easier to use the airline credit with prestige card, prestige is a MC so for international travel it is more accepted and it has a better exchange rate than amex. I got the plat card for the high signup. It has done very little for me since then. The only value I see in the amex plat over the prestige is if you frequent an airport that has a centurion lounge. In that case it could be worth it and it gives you SPG gold status but honestly I haven't stayed at any SPG properties since I got it so I don't know how much of a better experience I would get with gold status. Also it gives hilton gold but I have that already. I'm dumping the amex plat on renewal but I am going to hold on to the prestige. 

This very topic is subjective and it's always interesting to see how certain cards can provide more value to certain cardholders than others. I don't have the Prestige yet, but it is on my shortlist of cards I'll probably round out the year with.

I also jumped on the 100k Plat offer and I'm loving every minute of it it. SPG Gold has already been super useful for me, I've used the $200 airfare credit, applied for TSA Precheck that will be reimbursed and amex offers has credited me $60 in just a month.

I'll agree that the Prestige has the better airfare redemption requirement and PP membership, plus the 4th night free benefit is simply the best perk of any card hands down. However, I don't fly AA so the centurion lounges and delta sky clubs will appeal to me more on that front.

To sum it up, both of these cards are/will be super valuable to me and I plan on paying the $900 worth of annual fees without flinching. To me, the benefits far outweigh the annual fees and the combo creates the ultimate super travelers' card.

Message 73 of 90
wachme
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I'm 9ffering my two cents.

I have loved every minute of the Amex Platinum card in the short time I have it. I can say I look at this as a $250 (minus air crefit) perk card rather than one for earning MR points.

So far I have used it in the following ways.

1. Refunded $200 for Southwest cards.
2. Used it for global entry credit of $100.
3. Used the late check out as a Hilton gold member.
4. Used the concierge to take care of an early arrival in Spain.
5. The amazing Centurion Lounge in IAH which is my home airport.

Since I'm in a Centurion Lounge airport I see it being more beneficial. I would consider this a point earning card rather a perk card. If I'm staying get 4 nights anywhere I'm positive it's in a package so that wasn't that great to me.

I've heard that new centurion lounge in IAH is absolutely wonderful! Domestic PP lounges are not even in the centurion league.

I wish centurion was in my home airport.  Technically it is because of LGA, but I travel out of JFK/EWR more often.

Message 74 of 90
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I'll be at the centurion lounge in IAH in September for a Marriott meet up. It'll be my first one.

Will likely be at the LGA one in October.
Message 75 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

It made my 3 hour layover so much better, plus they had just opened so I got in on the giveaways Smiley Happy I will be back Monday flying to Europe.
Message 76 of 90
PointLager
Established Contributor

I have both. Prestige is great and I'm impressed. That being said I'm yet to see how prestige out of warranty coverage works. I've gotten over $500+ This year in warranty coverage from Amex. Full amount credited to my card. No proof of getting it fixed or chasing down an estimate. Just the receipt sent to Amex. If citi's new benefit administrator is this easy then Citi wins out by a mile.

Now this doesn't consider differences in TYP vs MR programs or what other cards the Op may have or plans to get.

It also doesn't consider Amex offers or Citi price rewind. Both have yielded me hundreds this year.

But if I were to have one card only and had access to AA regularly I'd get prestige in a heartbeat. Earning structure and more favorable fx rate (mastercard > Amex > visa )
Message 77 of 90
PointLager
Established Contributor

On and regarding lounge access for delta I consider that useless if you fly with family members. They all have to pay to get in.
Message 78 of 90
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Has anybody taking advantage of the golf perk and if so what do you think about it? 

Message 79 of 90
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Saleen099 wrote:

Has anybody taking advantage of the golf perk and if so what do you think about it? 

I've looked into it, and you can get IMMENSE value out of it. The problem is you need to find someone else willing to pay the cost for the round of golf to play with you, unless you want to just go out yourself and (potentially) get paired up with strangers. 

I think it could be a substantially stronger benefit if it was a free round of golf for 2. 

Message 80 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.