Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum to Zync ?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Amex Platinum to Zync ?

I have Amex Business Platinum. Last week I applied for Amex Personal Platinum and got approved. Since I do not need two platinum charge cards, I am thinking of changing it to Zync? Should I change it to Zync or should I go with Gold / Green. What is your thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex Platinum to Zync ?

What do you use the card for?

My thinking is that unless you have some astonishingly pressing business need for a Plat, involving summit meetings in airport lounges, there is not any justification on God's green earth for a Plat.

The Zync seems to get the same job done (minus the airport lounge stuff) for a whole lot less.

And this is especially so in your case, since you have a business Plat that can pick up the slack if needed.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The only reason I would consider going Gold over Zync is if you had other credit cards from amex that earned the membership rewards because the zync only gets the express rewards and Green and up get regular rewards I believe... but since you have 1 platinum you should be able to piggy the zync off the platinum so it will be in the regular rewards program.

Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Creditaddict wrote:

The only reason I would consider going Gold over Zync is if you had other credit cards from amex that earned the membership rewards because the zync only gets the express rewards and Green and up get regular rewards I believe... but since you have 1 platinum you should be able to piggy the zync off the platinum so it will be in the regular rewards program.

Good point, I hadn't thought about the differing rewards structures.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

That is what I am not sure how the rewards are combined. I'll call them once I get the card and see what they say. I might even leave the card the way it is for few months and deal with it later.

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

All of our membership rewards earning amex cards are linked to the Platinum Optima card, so they all instantly get regular membership rewards.  Either Amex can do it for you or you can link the accounts yourself online.  I sometimes have to add the additional card holders accounts to the reward program once the new card is showing online

Message 6 of 8
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

From looking at the compare cards option, I believe that Zync does qualify for the regular rewards (1 point per dollar spent) program that a green or gold does.  You would just get the extra rewards for the different bonus packs.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 7 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

if you only have the zync card, it's membership Express, which I have never been able to tell the difference, like you say you are earning your double points in the packs your enrolled in.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.