Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum with EMV

tag
mjnierva23
New Contributor

Amex Platinum with EMV

So yesterday i applied for the AMEX Platinum and was instanly approved. This morning I called customer service and asked them to ship my card with an EMV chip for international travel. The Rep told me that they couldn't do both the magnetic strip with the EMV chip. And once i chose to go with the chip i couldnt switch back. Is there any truth to this or was the rep just misinformed??? I'm gunna try to call back either tonight or tomorrow to speak with a different rep.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum with EMV

I did a emv search at the top of the page. It still functions like a regular card in the states from what I read. It also said you can't opt out once you choose it.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 5
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

I have the Platinum with the chip, it also has a swipe strip and believe me I use it daily...I do remember them saying that once I have the chip I cant go back, but getting the chip does not effect the swipe strip on the back of the card....hope that helps you!

Message 3 of 5
mjnierva23
New Contributor

thanks for the insight. I asked for both the strip and the chip but she said its either or and couldnt have both. so i just said forget it 

Message 4 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@mjnierva23 wrote:

thanks for the insight. I asked for both the strip and the chip but she said its either or and couldnt have both. so i just said forget it 

She probably interpreted your request to mean you wanted two separate cards, one with just a magnetic strip, the other with EMV.  I don't think they'll do that.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.