Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum.

tag
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

Amex Platinum.

I received an invitation to "upgrade my Amex gold to the Platinum Card and enjoy exceptional travel and dining benefits."

At this point in time I can't justify the a.f. because I wouldn't take advantage of the perks associated with travel. But I suppose this could be interpreted as an indication that Amex likes me which is great because I'm contemplating an app for the B.C.P. come January.
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum.

Congrats! An invitation can mean nothing but good news! Once you're able to take advantage of the rewards they should cover the AF.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex platinum is one of those things.

If you travel a lot then there is good reason to get it with the travel benefits alone. $200 of Airline fees are taken care of like excessive baggage every year. Also with things like American Express Sync you can get tons of deals which can get you money back every year. It all depends on what your looking for.

Message 3 of 13
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@7PM789 wrote:
I received an invitation to "upgrade my Amex gold to the Platinum Card and enjoy exceptional travel and dining benefits."

At this point in time I can't justify the a.f. because I wouldn't take advantage of the perks associated with travel. But I suppose this could be interpreted as an indication that Amex likes me which is great because I'm contemplating an app for the B.C.P. come January.

I think I would upgrade my Amex Green to gold, if they ever offer me. I saw the upgrade button when viewing all credit cards.

Maybe I'll wait after January when I get BCE, I think you have to wait 1 year before upgrading the charge card because of AF law?

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I would love to get the plat, but I'm fairly certain my travel wouldn't justify the AF.

I DO intend to go for the PRG, if the point bonus for app'ing is at least 30k.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 13
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

The points add up quickly as well.

I received 300 in statement credits in the first 3 months.

There customer service and concierge alone are worth the 450.   

Travel perks are the best portion of the rewards, but the card has numerous other benefits that I love. 

Another great perk is if you stay in a hotel and purchase the room with your card they normal will upgrade you a level simple because you used your platinum card.

I am not an objective observer though.  I love AMEX.  I have their Hilton card, Blue Cash Preferred, and the Plat card.  I also have their High yield personal savings as well. 

I know many in the forums feel that Amex can be a bit touchy, but keep your credit score high, don't miss a single payment, PIF every two months, and they will give you large credit limits, and support all your goals.

Plus they back date!  I had the standard blue for 8+ years.  Now I have three amex with 8+ years of AOA.

Message 6 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

hmmm - haha
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 13
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I love the platinum card. It has great perks for those who travel alot.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 8 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

if as in upgrade they mean they'll keep the annual fee of the gold go for it Smiley Very Happy

but if you take 1 international flight a year I would get the Platinum with the fee. $200 airline credit, free global entry, airport lounges makes up for it's costs imo.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 13
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

If I "upgrade" the annual fee would be $450.00, it is different terminology but its a simple product change. If the annual fee remained the same I would've done it immediately.
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.