LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum

@aamex wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@aamex wrote:

@hateAshbury wrote:

"horrible card build quality"

really? am I reading that right? build quality??

LOL! yeah you're reading it right. But, at the end of the day it's plastic. To his point I do feel like for the AF it could be a little more asethically pleasing. My CSP is metal..but I didn't get the card so that it could be the thickest in my wallet lol

Smiley Very Happy

I hate Cap1's image cards!! the end paint flakes off it almost looks counterfeit!!

LOL! That card made me appreciate so many others. Like, I would redo them image expecting for it to change the production...never happen. numbers would scrub off in like a few months Smiley Very Happy

Yup!! I called and told them I don't want this crap, send me back my original card!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 51 of 56
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I just pulled a post off that IMO (ah, the joys of being a mod) was more judgmental than necessary.

I think it's well established that in most cases, a Plat isn't really saving the user money. After all, no one needs to use an airport lounge. (This is why Ruby Tuesday's exists.) Therefore saying that it "saves" the user from paying huge lounge access fees seems a bit disingenuous, in that as far as I know, they weren't forced to use the lounge. So it's true that a big part of the card's attraction is some sort of warm fuzzies from having it and its perks.

But if someone wants said warm fuzzies, I'm not going to throw rocks at them. I haven't found a use yet for a 102' plasma TV with three small TV's stacked on either side from which 7 sports events can be simultaneously monitored, but hey, if someone wants to stimulate the economy in this manner, that's their decision.

Please keep your posts friendly, supportive, and respectful. It ain't that hard, folks. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 52 of 56
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

<----Uses the lounge benefits of GF amex plat.  To get away from those coughers and hackers. To enjoy the free coffee - THEN free beer.  I'll take it everytrip.  I make sure to leave some layover time when traveling through ATL JUST to visit a decent sky lounge.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 53 of 56
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Repo-ed wrote:

<----Uses the lounge benefits of GF amex plat.  To get away from those coughers and hackers. To enjoy the free coffee - THEN free beer.  I'll take it everytrip.  I make sure to leave some layover time when traveling through ATL JUST to visit a decent sky lounge.

See, there you go. It's a decision to use the lounge, for its benefits and comforts. And that's a perfectly good reason to want to have a Plat, if you travel a lot. While I agree that it's not a money-saver in the sense that a cash rewards card is, there are other rewards than cash, and for frequent travelers, this is one.

I pay more for commuting costs that I need to, because I'd rather have the flexibility of my own vehicle, and the associated peace and quiet, than ride on public transit or a vanpool. That's a decision I make, knowing that it costs me, just as a Plat costs the cardholder.

The post that was removed was sneering at those who get Plats, saying that its only use was for ego gratification. (And for bad finger food, IIRC.)

I'm sorry that my post was sort of hanging out there. Without the contrast of the removed post, it probably came out wrong.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 54 of 56
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

No, I didn't take it wrong at all.  I DO try my best to get the shortest layover times, however, if the price is wrong or just nothing under 1hr....then it's to the lounge we go!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 55 of 56
jonald11
Valued Member

The Amex Platinum more than pays for itself simply because I spend a good portion of my time working overseas. The lounges are a must, not a luxury.

This year I had about 35 layovers in Europe, and the airport lounges saved me a ton of money. Remember, it isn't just hanging out in lounges. In Europe each country has its own cell phone carrier and data charges. In the U.S., Verizon and T-Mobile work in Boston or Utah. 

Not in Europe or Asia. You need wifi, and the Lounges are free, compaired to the 12 Euro charges of most. Add in free drinks, coffee, food and I am, without any question, saving $20 to $30 per layover. 

Then toss in the $200 airline credit (You can pay for upgrades or use to buy tickeets, among other things), the automatic Starwood Preferred Gold membership and upgrades for free, and the Avis upgrade, and it's the best travel investment I have made. And there are no foreign transaction fees, which based on just $2,000 per month, is worth $60 per month.  (Although, to be fair, Capital One is great and free with no FOREX fees, but the benefits are garbage).

If you travel overseas a lot, it's a no-brainer. And it seems that you don't need a high scoreto get it. I'd say 720 should do it.

Message 56 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.