Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Points to Airline miles

tag
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Amex Points to Airline miles

I'm not an expert in this by any means, so I'm asking for the forums help.

I have approx 590k Amex MR points. Ideally, I would like to transfer them to Singapore airlines to upgrade to the first class suite on my trip to Thailand in a few months. Does anyone know of any special procedure and/or redemption rate? Also, it doesn't have to be Singapore airlines, I just really want to try the suite out and have yet to figure out a way to justify $40k as a business expense... I'm still thinking of ways 😉

In all seriousness, I'm open to better suggestions, just looking for some advice from those of you who know more about this than I do.

If it helps, I also have approx 250k in chase points, which I think do a 1:1 transfer to Singapore.

Thanks in advance!!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Points to Airline miles

find out how many points you need for your flight, then transfer those points in.

you can transfer all your points in if you want, but you might find a good use for them later and if they're all tied up in SAL then that's no bueno.

the highest mileage cost for a suite is like 112.5k one way, so you could do a couple trips there. so I'd say transfer in however much you want, and be ready to punch if you find availability, especially if you find a saver award.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

I have approx 590k Amex MR points. Ideally, I would like to transfer them to Singapore airlines to upgrade to the first class suite on my trip to Thailand in a few months. Does anyone know of any special procedure and/or redemption rate? Also, it doesn't have to be Singapore airlines, I just really want to try the suite out and have yet to figure out a way to justify $40k as a business expense... I'm still thinking of ways 😉

In all seriousness, I'm open to better suggestions, just looking for some advice from those of you who know more about this than I do.

If it helps, I also have approx 250k in chase points, which I think do a 1:1 transfer to Singapore.

Thanks in advance!!

Ahem.  As noted above, you have enough points for two trips or two people.  Aren't you in need of a true chip and pin card on the trip?

Message 3 of 7
dilettante
Established Contributor

If you want a true enclosed suite experience, the best would probably be Singapore. Haven't been lucky enough to snag one yetSmiley Sad  But I can give a little info about my experience booking 3 first class award tickets recently.

Definitely check award availability before transferring but IME, it only took less than a day (about 6 -12 hours) to transfer MR, UR, and TY points to SQ. With MR, it helps if you have the SQ's FF # connected to your account.

SQ suite awards are very hard to come by, so you need to book ASAP.  Enclosed suites on SQ (A380 planes) are only available on certain routes from US - LAX to Narita, JFK to Frankfurt.

Cost of points have 3 tiers: Saver, Standard, and Full.  From US, total points needed for US - Thailand will be anywhere from 215k - 220k (Saver) RT  to over a million (Full) RT.  Upgrade from business tickets range from 135k to 670k depending on origin and what tier is available.

You do get a 15% discount on points needed if you book online.  If you don't see a saver award is available but see waitlist is available, you can be put on the waitlist but it might not clear anywhere from a few weeks to 48 hours before the flight.  To expedite clearing waitlist, you can call Singapore Air and ask for a "chaser".  I had to do that for one ticket recently and was able to clear the waitlist a month and a half prior by calling back and asking for them to send another "chaser".

Have never had success with upgrades so can't give any info on that but the cost in points is so high that I just got award tickets instead.

Good Luck and hope you can get your first class suiteSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Thanks so much for the help, everyone!  Its my goal to get the 1st class suite, so Ill let you all know if I am successful Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

Thanks in advance!!

Ahem.  As noted above, you have enough points for two trips or two people.  Aren't you in need of a true chip and pin card on the trip?

Of course, Irish - you can come along Smiley Wink  You dont even need to ask Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

Thanks in advance!!

I got all worried about this chip & pin thing for my China trip. It was a non-issue. Chip and sign was fine. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.