Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Pre-Qual Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Pre-Qual Question

I've been searching and having a hard time wading through everything so I thought I'd just post my own thread.

I check the pre-qual sites pretty regularly. Just tried Amex again this morning and for the first time ever it came back with 3 different card "offers". They were the Gold Card, Blue Cash Preferred and the PRGC. Was trying to figure out if anyone had experience or an opinion on how solid these are. I realize they are not "pre-approvals" because there is not a set APR, specifically on the BCP.

My Ex FICO is currently 659...could be better which is why I was surprised to have something pop up on their prequal site since I've never seen anything. Any insights??

The BCP shows a $250 signup bonus which is pretty appealing! What say the experts???

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Pre-Qual Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been searching and having a hard time wading through everything so I thought I'd just post my own thread.

I check the pre-qual sites pretty regularly. Just tried Amex again this morning and for the first time ever it came back with 3 different card "offers". They were the Gold Card, Blue Cash Preferred and the PRGC. Was trying to figure out if anyone had experience or an opinion on how solid these are. I realize they are not "pre-approvals" because there is not a set APR, specifically on the BCP. To each his own, but I don't have a desire for cards with an AF.

My Ex FICO is currently 659...could be better which is why I was surprised to have something pop up on their prequal site since I've never seen anything. Any insights??

Others with a similar score have reported being approved for the Blue Cash Preferred.

The BCP shows a $250 signup bonus which is pretty appealing! What say the experts???

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really want an AF either, but with a $250 signup bonus it would basically cover 3 years of AF and I'd still get the rewards. I was mostly just curious as to whether their prequalify site was a good indicator or not. Either way, thanks for your response!

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

GL !! 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it helps you at all, I got approved for the BCE with Ex score of 689. I got a low starting limit and a high APR.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If it helps you at all, I got approved for the BCE with Ex score of 689. I got a low starting limit and a high APR.

Dang annipoo! You said low starting and high APR! I had a 720 EX and got $1500 SL. Smiley Sad But to be fair - that was almost twice what my other bank card limits were combined so I'll take it. 

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is the highest limit I have also for majors. Only my Walmart and Amazon are higher than what they gave me.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I decided to app for the Premier Rewards Gold due to the 50,000 bonus. I know I probably shouldn't have, as I'd imagine its a card that requires a pretty good score. But in a moment of excitement and without really thinking, I put in my info and hit submit. It was DECLINED Smiley Sad

So I guess I answered my own question from the OP that even though you get an offer by filling out the pre-qual link, it doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna get an approval. My next question would be: If you app for a particular card from a company/bank and are declined, can you recon and ask if you would qualify for a different product? In my case, could I call and see if I could get something like the Everyday or Blue Cash cards (assuming they aren't as difficult to get)??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 8 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Was trying to figure out if anyone had experience or an opinion on how solid these are.

No prequals from any creditor are solid regardless of how myFICO users may state otherwise. It always depends on when the prequal was performed and what changed in one's credit profile since the SP.

@Anonymous wrote:

So I decided to app for the Premier Rewards Gold due to the 50,000 bonus. I know I probably shouldn't have, as I'd imagine its a card that requires a pretty good score. 

Incorrect.  Their charge cards are generally easier to qualify for.

Do not rely on prequals, preapprovals, etc.  Select cards that suit you based on your needs/wants and apply when your credit is in proper shape.

@Anonymous wrote:

If you app for a particular card from a company/bank and are declined, can you recon and ask if you would qualify for a different product? In my case, could I call and see if I could get something like the Everyday or Blue Cash cards (assuming they aren't as difficult to get)??

Nope.  If you were denied for the PRG you would probably be denied for the ED or BC cards as well.

Review your reports, look at the denial letter as a starting point and work on the issues with your credit.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I fill out pre-qual for all the sites on a weekly basis. I had never had any offers from AMEX, it always said "sorry, no offers were found". So....I got pretty excited when Tuesday morning I filled it out and it came back with Amex Gold, BCP and PRG. The bonus on the PRG was 50k points so I thought it was too tough to pass up. 

Oh well. But I'm still wondering, in general, if you apply for a certain card and are denied, can you call and ask if you would be approved for any other card they offer? Or do you have to do a brand new app and another HP?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.