Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Preapproval

tag
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

Amex Preapproval

I'm really itching to apply for the Zync card.  However, I went to the preapproval site and got the message no offers were available for me at this time.  Is it still worth applying or should I save my inquiry?  I just recently got approved for Discover (via preapproved notice) and tonight got approved for the Citi Dividend (letter to apply).  Funny thing is both scores were pulled by Equifax and one was 687 (Discover) and 712 (Citi).  Don't know where the disconnect is. 

Starting Score: TU: 663 EQ: 632 EX: ?
Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)
Goal Score: 700 (ALL)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Preapproval

With those scores you should be fine unless you have a BK or sky high UTL.
Message 2 of 13
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

I wasn't pre-approved but I applied and was instantly approved for the Zync. 

Photobucket
Message 3 of 13
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

If your Ex is a FICO, then I think you are good as long as you don't have high utility on your current credit cards.

JMO... Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 13
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

I was told my EX score was a FAKO score since it's through the experian site via my U.S. bank issued card (either my OfficeMax or First National CC).  My overall UTIL is around 32%.  Is that too high?

Starting Score: TU: 663 EQ: 632 EX: ?
Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)
Goal Score: 700 (ALL)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 13
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I've been watching the MyFICO forums for some time now before I ever started giving my .02.  I've seen people on here get the Zync with as low as 660 EX FICO.  (you have to take that for what it's worth)  but I personally would get my true EX FICO score above 700 and my utility below at least 25% with under 10% being the best.  Again, just my .02.  Good Luck!  I waited 7 months to make sure I was were I needed to be before I applied.  (Barclay's policy of watching new accounts and CLD/Closing new accounts with new apps helped keep me from applying also...haha) 

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 6 of 13
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

The Zync is fairly easy to get and it is a great way to get your foot in the door with Amex.

I think with you scores and as long as utilization is in line, you would be fine to apply.

I like my Zync, I have a BCE card with them and the Zync is the card in my wallet at this time. I use the BCE to pay some monthly bills.

If you decide to try, let us know the results. And, good luck!

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW I had 4% util and a 720 ex FICO, AAoA 1yr oldest account 1yr 11 months, 5 hard inq and I was denied zync and denied again after a recon.

Message 8 of 13
tsu1112
New Contributor

I was not preaprroved for either Discover or Amex Green and cold applied to both about a month ago and was instantly approved for both with scores similar to yours.

Message 9 of 13
CS800
Super Contributor

@tsu1112 wrote:

I was not preaprroved for either Discover or Amex Green and cold applied to both about a month ago and was instantly approved for both with scores similar to yours.

Another proof that the AMEX internal scoring is really strange but weighs a lot in their decisions.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.