Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Premium Car Rental Protection.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Premium Car Rental Protection.....

Anyone enrolled in this program? Pros/cons? I only rent 3 or 4 times/year, usually decline the additional rental agency insurance but sometimes feel some apprehension.  In all my years of renting I've never had a claim but it could happen.
Thanks
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Premium Car Rental Protection.....

Never had a claim either-

I understand the coverage is excellent.  I used it last July-

Anderson wrote:
Anyone enrolled in this program? Pros/cons? I only rent 3 or 4 times/year, usually decline the additional rental agency insurance but sometimes feel some apprehension.  In all my years of renting I've never had a claim but it could happen.
Thanks

Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

timothy you held out longer than i would have, the 24 hour boycott served it's purpose. congrats on the approval!

i thought the rental coverage was an automatic thing, are you saying one has to enroll/activate it? several card issuers have this perk. i even took it one step farther and for about $60.00 a year i added a rental car rider to my auto policy, this rider even covers the loss of use of the rental car so the rental agency can't charge me for revenue they "lost" by not having the car available while it's being repaired. does the cc coverage have this feature?
Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

it is automatic-

When I rented the guy did not even bother to try and sell me add'l coverage.

dnm45227 wrote:
timothy you held out longer than i would have, the 24 hour boycott served it's purpose. congrats on the approval!

i thought the rental coverage was an automatic thing, are you saying one has to enroll/activate it? several card issuers have this perk. i even took it one step farther and for about $60.00 a year i added a rental car rider to my auto policy, this rider even covers the loss of use of the rental car so the rental agency can't charge me for revenue they "lost" by not having the car available while it's being repaired. does the cc coverage have this feature?

Message 4 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

my Auto insurance has automatic coverage for rentals

If something were to happen- I would let them fight it out. 
Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:

i called my rep and he said my policy covers me and will wrap around the rental, but the loss of use was an add on. i have state farm, if that helps.
Message 6 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

That IMO is their problem-

It is hard to have too much coverage- 

It was a 48 hour+ AMEX free BTW-  

dnm45227 wrote:

Timothy wrote:

i called my rep and he said my policy covers me and will wrap around the rental, but the loss of use was an add on. i have state farm, if that helps.

Message 7 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is PRIMARY coverage. No need to have your personal vehicle insurer involved. Rates seem very fair, one flat fee per rental period. Thinking of enrolling.

dnm45227 wrote:

Message 8 of 35
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to bring this tread back up but I didn't want to make a new thread.

Okay.  I need to rent a car this friday in another state.  I decided to sign up for the premium car rental protection just right now.  I will reserve a car later tonight online.  Anyone know what's in the "welcome kit" that will be coming to me in 7-10 days (i'll be out of state during this whole time)?  Is there anything important I need to sign?  Anything else important I should know because this is the first time I am renting a car.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 35
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you're leaving Friday, I'd just call Amex and ask them.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.