Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Prequalification as a member

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Prequalification as a member

@jawbrkr wrote:

I have tried the prequal thing with Amex countless times and I never get an offer for anything. Just the standard featured cards after I log in. But I do get tons of mailers for their charge cards (Platinum and PRG). You would think if one gets a mailer then a prequal check should also show the same offers. 

I don't get either one. They are probably still trying to figure out how I got the BCP and ED. lol

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 21 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

It only works for me if I start incognito then log in, for some reason.  I've actually never seen so many come up as today.  My offers are:

- Add someone to my Platinum.

- Upgrade my PRG to Platinum.

- BCE ($150 for $1500), 13.74%

Clicking the View All Cards button, I get those and:

- BCP ($150 for $1500), 13.74%

- The Mercedes-Benz Credit Card from American Express (10k MR for $1000), 15.99%

- Plus what appears to be every Delta and Hilton card, but many of them have APR ranges or tiers listed so that is likely just marketing.

I have 4 Amex cards (Plat, PRG, Blue, SPG) and I'm an AU on an ED - I have more than enough Amex cards at the moment.  PRG and Blue are on the chopping block if I can just finally let go of the account ages.  Hard to give up a pair of 15 year-old cards.  Now if for some reason Amex ends up with a Marriott card next year...

Interesting, so if you take "Upgrade my PRG to Platinum." you'd have 2 Platinums and AMEX doesn't have a problem with that (I guess they wouldn't if you pay $1100)?

To OP's question:

1. AMEX is making changes to its website (and has been doing that for a few months IIRC) so the behavior might be in flux.

2. I've seen people twist the info a bit (like use a short form of name, change the non number part of the address a bit, etc) to avoid 'log in' detection but still trigger pre-qual thus there are or were likely 2 independent triggers, but as in 1, they might be combining those now.

3. The only interesting pre-qual offer seems to be Platinum 100K, as other best offers are either time limited public or can pop up without pre-qual if you use VPN and clear cookies. 

Message 22 of 51
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I got an error page
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 23 of 51
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

<snipped>

- Add someone to my Platinum.

- Upgrade my PRG to Platinum.

<snipped>

Interesting, so if you take "Upgrade my PRG to Platinum." you'd have 2 Platinums and AMEX doesn't have a problem with that (I guess they wouldn't if you pay $1100)?

<snipped>

I'm sure they'd love me to pay $725 x 2 since I already have an AU on each account.  I don't think that Amex has a rule against having more than 1 of the same card, but they do have a rule against receiving sign-up or upgrade bonuses for the same product more than once per lifetime so I would not get a huge MR incentive to upgrade my PRG to Platinum since I already took that when I upgraded my Green Rewards (may have been renamed just Green prior to the PC since all of the charge family gets MRs these days, I can't recall for sure, but when I first got the card in 2002 there were two different Green personal charge cards) to Platinum.  If you can get enough value out of travel credits with your AUs or needed 5 or 6 platinum AUs rather than gold, I suppose it could make financial sense to have two.

Message 24 of 51
jim44
Established Contributor

As my CK scores has risen and as the years have passed... CK is recommending more of the big bank cards with approval odds.  AMEX starting showing up since my score has reached the high 600s and now (according to TU & EQ fako scores) that I'm in the mid 700s my approval has gone from fair to good.  My tried the prequal with CK for AMEX and was given a preapproval with a solid APR on three of their cards.  Pulled the trigger and was approved.  Never prior did I ever see a solid APR with AMEX prequal website. 

Message 25 of 51
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@jim44 wrote:

As my CK scores has risen and as the years have passed... CK is recommending more of the big bank cards with approval odds.  AMEX starting showing up since my score has reached the high 600s and now (according to TU & EQ fako scores) that I'm in the mid 700s my approval has gone from fair to good.  My tried the prequal with CK for AMEX and was given a preapproval with a solid APR on three of their cards.  Pulled the trigger and was approved.  Never prior did I ever see a solid APR with AMEX prequal website. 

Glad you were approved, but just a cautionary tale... Amex bases their decisions on Experian FICO 08 scores, Credit Karma (and all Vantage 3.0) scores can vary wildly from FICO 08 scores used by an overwhelming majority of lenders (Mine are currently about 110 points lower.  I have always been in the poor to fair categories for Vantage 3.0 - they seriously suggest I get a secured card or a horrible subprime card, while prime lenders have been consistently handing me cards with 5-digit limits and the lowest APRs.  I have never had anything negative on a credit report.), and Credit Karma exists solely for marketing as they make money when you apply for cards through their links.

Message 26 of 51
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I went incognito on Chrome. I was prequal'd for BCE with a solid Apr so took it. APPROVED. Now I have two of them.
Message 27 of 51
BIGSTARXXX1
Valued Member

@JSS3 wrote:
I went incognito on Chrome. I was prequal'd for BCE with a solid Apr so took it. APPROVED. Now I have two of them.

I tried doing that - prompts me for my login. no dice

Message 28 of 51
driftless
Valued Contributor

I think part of the issue is the categories that you spend in.  For example, I keep receiving offers for the Platinum or to upgrade to the Platinum but not any of the revolvers.  I spoke to an Amex CSR today about a retention offer, which I posted in another thread, and he was focused on that my spend is on travel and dining.  The CSR did mention Platinum which got us into a conversation about the Amex and Chase ecosystems.  All very profession, proper, and informative.  The point is that I think Amex is channeling me toward the Platinum because of the categories of spend that they see that I spend on.  If I had a different type of spend, my guess that different offers would appear.  YMMV.  For those looking for datapoints  I consistently spend $3 - 4k a month with PRG, which is lower than what I spend on my Sapphire.  
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 29 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a cap of how many amex cards your allowed to get? I have two personal and one business right now.
Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.