Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Prg due date confusion.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Prg due date confusion.

My first statement cut today. my statement closing date is sep 14th.it says please pay by sep 29th ? is this correct? less than 18 days grace period. ?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Prg due date confusion.

That is the Please Pay By date. It is not technically late until the next statement generates. From what I have heard the Please Pay By date is left over from a bygone era where people wrote checks and had to mail them in. If a person put a check in the mail by the Please Pay By date it would guarantee enough time for delivery and processing. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

awesome thank you. that means i have till 10/13/2016. i will also chat with a representative and will confirm what they say about this here. 

Message 3 of 12
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

It is a charge card, different rules apply. Pay it when they suggest to, or you risk them looking at you very closely in a not so positive light. All IMO.
Message 4 of 12
guinness8878
Established Member

Above is why I pay when it says to, I don't want any unnecessary attention. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay mine right when I get the statement or maybe a day after, I know it's not necessary but it's a PIF charge card, I don't spend what I can't afford so there's no need to take advantage of any grace period. Everyone is different though.
Message 6 of 12
newhis
Valued Contributor

My PRG has this on the statement:

Payment is due upon receipt. We suggest you pay by the Please Pay By date. You may have to pay a late fee if your payment is not received by the Next Closing Date.

So they payment is due without a grace period. They ask to pay by the Please Pay By date. You will not pay a late fee if the payment clears by the Next Closing Date.

I have automatic payments on Please Pay By date. I don't want to have any issues.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok i got it. i never had a charge card before so this seemed weird to me that they have given just 15days to pay back. but officially its not just 15 days. its 25 days before they charge interest if one is eligible for pay over time. though i am eligible for pay over time i never pay interest on any card i always pay in full. anyways right now the balance is 236 so i can pay it before 29th (please pay by) date. but i wanted to know the actual due date .i believe it is october 9th . if i pay before oct 9th no interest will be charged ( its on my statement details )

so i understand many of you pay on please pay by time because you dont want FRs Smiley Wink .i just want to make the most of whatever the grace period is for a card.

Message 8 of 12
elim
Senior Contributor

2 years with PRG I have always paid by the "Please Pay By" date.  No problems yet.

Message 9 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

ok i got it. i never had a charge card before so this seemed weird to me that they have given just 15days to pay back. but officially its not just 15 days. its 25 days before they charge interest if one is eligible for pay over time. though i am eligible for pay over time i never pay interest on any card i always pay in full. anyways right now the balance is 236 so i can pay it before 29th (please pay by) date. but i wanted to know the actual due date .i believe it is october 9th . if i pay before oct 9th no interest will be charged ( its on my statement details )

so i understand many of you pay on please pay by time because you dont want FRs Smiley Wink .i just want to make the most of whatever the grace period is for a card.

Many people pay their charge card balance before the next statement drops (but after the 'Please Pay By' date) and have no problems at all.

It just depends on what works for each of us.  Smiley Happy

Side note:  I've never heard of not paying by the 'Please' date causing a FR.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.