Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - Price Protection Disappointment

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Amex - Price Protection Disappointment

So i bought some items from Bath and Body about a month ago using our PRG card. Today i noticed the price dropped on a few of the items and figured oh not an issue i will just call Amex and see if they can adjust it. I didn't have my receipt with me otherwise i would have done it in store if possible. So i call Amex and the rep was having a little trouble understanding but we worked through it and at the end mentioned he was putting in a dispute for me. I thought it was odd, and checked our account online and noticed a dispute was placed saying we were overcharged. Its a $18 difference for the price drop, but i thought a dispute doesn't sound right so i start chatting with the rep and she mentions the PRG doesn't offer Price Protection, only Purchase Protection, and she's right. So now i feel a tad awkward because i thought Amex offered that. I'm not going to take it personally but i guess it will just make me think twice on which card i use to pay for things due to the fact i thought Amex offered more than other lenders. 

On a side note i was comparing the point structures of Platinum, PRG, and Green. I noticed Platinum must be more for the benefits because the point structure is the same as the green. Personally i would think it would be at least the same or better than the PRG for the fee. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex - Price Protection Disappointment

@Skye12329 wrote:

So i bought some items from Bath and Body about a month ago using our PRG card. Today i noticed the price dropped on a few of the items and figured oh not an issue i will just call Amex and see if they can adjust it. I didn't have my receipt with me otherwise i would have done it in store if possible. So i call Amex and the rep was having a little trouble understanding but we worked through it and at the end mentioned he was putting in a dispute for me. I thought it was odd, and checked our account online and noticed a dispute was placed saying we were overcharged. Its a $18 difference for the price drop, but i thought a dispute doesn't sound right so i start chatting with the rep and she mentions the PRG doesn't offer Price Protection, only Purchase Protection, and she's right. So now i feel a tad awkward because i thought Amex offered that. I'm not going to take it personally but i guess it will just make me think twice on which card i use to pay for things due to the fact i thought Amex offered more than other lenders. 

On a side note i was comparing the point structures of Platinum, PRG, and Green. I noticed Platinum must be more for the benefits because the point structure is the same as the green. Personally i would think it would be at least the same or better than the PRG for the fee. 

Darn, that stinks!  I wouldn't feel too awkward about it, though, since in my view it was a fail on the part of the first CSR you spoke with for not realizing what you were describing.  It should have been clear to him/her that you weren't disputing the accuracy of the original charge, or at least one would think.

Just a note, be sure to have Amex 'nix' the dispute, and make sure it doesn't make it to your credit reports.  While it won't have an impact on your score, once there they tend to 'linger', and on any manual review you could be asked to explain it. 

Years ago I had a payment get lost in the mail with Sears.  Even though I made another payment to keep the account current, because I called to ask about the missing payment they (for some reason) opened a 'dispute'.  After having to explain on two occasions to my banker that it was 'really nothing' (both times over a year later) I finally opened a dispute with the credit bureaus to have it removed (yes, a 'dispute of the dispute') which was effective.  Again, it never impacted my score, was just a minor annoyance.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx dropped their price protection across all their cards a couple of years ago I believe.

Discover still do it (and arguably it's the best since they include seasonal sales like Black Friday). Citi also does it using their Price Rewind feature... but that unfortunately means you have to have an account with Citi.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

AmEx dropped their price protection across all their cards a couple of years ago I believe.

Discover still do it (and arguably it's the best since they include seasonal sales like Black Friday). Citi also does it using their Price Rewind feature... [b]but that unfortunately means you have to have an account with Citi.[/b]

What's wrong with citi?

i love their emails reminding me I could get $$$ back with price rewind (but I'm pretty spiffy cheap, I only buy when it's the best deal possible unless it is something like Hermes that never goes on sale :/)

They always offer to overnight cards to me, when stolen, lost or compromised and I've only had the card compromised (twice within the last six month) but that's out of almost a decade's worth of...open card?

The reps are a hit/miss at times because it's often overseas reps but eh, you get what you pay for--for me it's a card I don't pay AF on and earns decent (a couple hundred) cash back every year.

Message 4 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

High priced electronics are still probably best bought with Amex though due to the extended warranty

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard nothing but bad things about Citi's shoddy site.

I also used to have a Citi checking account, and I had a great many issues with them which eventually culminated in my closing the account. Their cards themselves seem decent (Double Cash has crossed my mind a couple of times), but everything that goes with it... not so much.

Discover also comes with an extended warranty on purchases, but the original manufacturer warranty must be three years or less to receive an extra year through them; AmEx gives an extra year on manufacturer warranties of five years or less.

Message 6 of 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover still do it (and arguably it's the best since they include seasonal sales like Black Friday). Citi also does it using their Price Rewind feature... but that unfortunately means you have to have an account with Citi.

Which is not such a bad deal.  Chase also offers this benefit.  Though, I usually just get it from the merchants.

Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've heard nothing but bad things about Citi's shoddy site.

I also used to have a Citi checking account, and I had a great many issues with them which eventually culminated in my closing the account. Their cards themselves seem decent (Double Cash has crossed my mind a couple of times), but everything that goes with it... not so much.

Discover also comes with an extended warranty on purchases, but the original manufacturer warranty must be three years or less to receive an extra year through them; AmEx gives an extra year on manufacturer warranties of five years or less.

Did not know that on Discover, but the rest offer 5 years.  I just opened the citi account, I find their site nor more nor less appealing than Chase.  I also do my main finances on my iPad, so several Discover functions (spend analyzer) do not work without flash.  As folks get more mobile, they should really update that.  Citi has upgraded the site.  Not that bad for me (but, they do not like credit unions for deposit?  They will pull money.)

Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

So now i feel a tad awkward because i thought Amex offered that. I'm not going to take it personally but i guess it will just make me think twice on which card i use to pay for things due to the fact i thought Amex offered more than other lenders. 

Definitely make sure you understand your cards and don't just assume.

@Skye12329 wrote:

Again, don't just assume.  A lot of people think Platinum>PRG>Gold>Green but it's not that simple and straightforward.  We point out all the time that the Platinum isn't for those looking to maximize rewards and that is selected by those who value the premium travel benefits.  Always start with your needs/wants and use those to filter the options out there to products that suit you.  If maximizing rewards is your priority then the Platinum, Gold and Green should not be on your short list to begin with.  The PRG does have bonus earn rates on certain categories but many find the ED and EDP cards better suited to them for earning MR's.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.