cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Product Change -> Charge to Credit?

tag
elsijfdl
Contributor

Amex Product Change -> Charge to Credit?

Has anyone successfully converted a green/gold/plat card to a blue? I guess it's no big deal beause Amex dates all cards back to your first account, but it would be nice to not have the extra account on my CRs (even though technically it would help with my AAoA).
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Product Change -> Charge to Credit?

If you call Amex, they will tell you that you cannot convert a charge card to a revolver.  I vaguely remember a thread (by Masdeocho, I think), who was able to do so.

I tried to find the thread here, but I was not successful.  Smiley Mad

Good luck.

Message 2 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

asking amex for a pc to a revolving account even w/ 760 plus, low util, clean report, nonproblemtic mortagage co. & 10 year + business relationship may be risky.  YMMV.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I product changed in August from a Gold to a Blue. I was tired of paying the annual fee for a card that I spent maybe 150-300 per month with tops.

I had to take a hit with an inquiry, despite having an account in excellent standing since 1991. Smiley Mad

So far, I've had no issues. However, since making this change, Amex is softing me every month. Prior to making  this change, they checked my report 1x per year tops. I have FICO's in the 800's, spotless credit, and no revolving debt at the moment, but I don't believe I'm immune to any AA's in this current credit climate.

Looking back, I wish I just cancelled the card, rather than make the change. If you do decide to make the change, you may be inviting more scrutiny into your credit life from Amex.

Message 4 of 6
manyquestions
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I product changed in August from a Gold to a Blue. I was tired of paying the annual fee for a card that I spent maybe 150-300 per month with tops.

I had to take a hit with an inquiry, despite having an account in excellent standing since 1991. Smiley Mad

How did it end up looking on your credit report.  Do you have two AMEX tradelines or one?  In other words did they close the Gold charge card, so it reports on your reports as closed, and then open a new account for the Blue?  Or do you have only one AMEX tradeline where they changed the Gold Charge card from a charge account to a revolving account using the same account number?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@manyquestions wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How did it end up looking on your credit report.  Do you have two AMEX tradelines or one?  In other words did they close the Gold charge card, so it reports on your reports as closed, and then open a new account for the Blue?  Or do you have only one AMEX tradeline where they changed the Gold Charge card from a charge account to a revolving account using the same account number?

On my report, the Gold Card reflects that it was closed per consumers request. I have a new account # for the Blue card. It's reporting with my same "member since" date of 1991.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.