Contributor

Amex Product Change -> Charge to Credit?

Has anyone successfully converted a green/gold/plat card to a blue? I guess it's no big deal beause Amex dates all cards back to your first account, but it would be nice to not have the extra account on my CRs (even though technically it would help with my AAoA).
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Product Change -> Charge to Credit?

If you call Amex, they will tell you that you cannot convert a charge card to a revolver.  I vaguely remember a thread (by Masdeocho, I think), who was able to do so.

I tried to find the thread here, but I was not successful.  Smiley Mad

Good luck.

FICOs as of 09/2009 - TU 813, EQ 811, last known EX 797
FICOs as of 08/2009 - TU 791, EQ 809, last known EX 797
FICOs as of 07/2009 - TU 806, EQ 809, last known EX 797
Senior Contributor

asking amex for a pc to a revolving account even w/ 760 plus, low util, clean report, nonproblemtic mortagage co. & 10 year + business relationship may be risky.  YMMV.
FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
Regular Contributor

I product changed in August from a Gold to a Blue. I was tired of paying the annual fee for a card that I spent maybe 150-300 per month with tops.

I had to take a hit with an inquiry, despite having an account in excellent standing since 1991. Smiley Mad

So far, I've had no issues. However, since making this change, Amex is softing me every month. Prior to making  this change, they checked my report 1x per year tops. I have FICO's in the 800's, spotless credit, and no revolving debt at the moment, but I don't believe I'm immune to any AA's in this current credit climate.

Looking back, I wish I just cancelled the card, rather than make the change. If you do decide to make the change, you may be inviting more scrutiny into your credit life from Amex.

Frequent Contributor

Ishmael109 wrote:

I product changed in August from a Gold to a Blue. I was tired of paying the annual fee for a card that I spent maybe 150-300 per month with tops.

I had to take a hit with an inquiry, despite having an account in excellent standing since 1991. Smiley Mad

How did it end up looking on your credit report.  Do you have two AMEX tradelines or one?  In other words did they close the Gold charge card, so it reports on your reports as closed, and then open a new account for the Blue?  Or do you have only one AMEX tradeline where they changed the Gold Charge card from a charge account to a revolving account using the same account number?

Regular Contributor

manyquestions wrote:

Ishmael109 wrote:

How did it end up looking on your credit report.  Do you have two AMEX tradelines or one?  In other words did they close the Gold charge card, so it reports on your reports as closed, and then open a new account for the Blue?  Or do you have only one AMEX tradeline where they changed the Gold Charge card from a charge account to a revolving account using the same account number?

On my report, the Gold Card reflects that it was closed per consumers request. I have a new account # for the Blue card. It's reporting with my same "member since" date of 1991.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.